Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Aghhhh fstab read-only!! Cant write to it whatever I do :-(

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    18

    Aghhhh fstab read-only!! Cant write to it whatever I do :-(

    Please can anyone help a n00b?

    I've buggered my multiboot somehow, I dont know how. I did have a multiboot system with different distros on, with a Knoppix hdd install being my main system, also having XP on there (yak).

    My system now boots to this kind of stuff below:


    WARNING: Your /etc/fstab does not contain the fsck passno field

    the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
    I've done loads of reading on here, but people seem to have had one the the following situations:

    1. Had to format the disk.
    2. Fixed it and not explained how.
    3. Fixed it doing something that's completely over my head.

    I've checked the 3 fstab's I seem to have on the different partitions, and one seems normal, one is blank (the knoppix primary one) and another is only half filled in and looks all wrong.

    I've tried to edit the one on hda2 (the knoppix primary one) with the good one from hda6 (the right looking fstab) but whatever I try, I get nowhere. I keep coming up against the 'read-only' business.

    I cant boot from the disk, so I've been booting knoppix on the live disk so I can see stuff. All the disks appear on the desktop, and then I go properties on them, set to full access, then mount them, but I still get read only permission errors when I try and edit fstab?????!

    I've been trying from the terminal too, with my limited knowledge, changing over to root, but that STILL gives me read-only only errors for overwriting or editing this hda2 fstab, when I've given it full permissions before mounting!!!

    I think if I can edit the fstab I might get somewhere, but I've got no idea how to do it!!

    Please, has anyone got an idiots guide??

    Thanks in advance


    Mors

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    su vim /etc/fstab

    Should work. You may run into permissions issues if you're doing this from one distro to another. Best bet is to boot the knoppix CD and try from that.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    18
    That worked!! I mounted the drive from the terminal instead this time with the -w switch too and it lets me edit it! I had to learn how to use vim tho lol
    NOT SO GOOD NEWS - I've doctored the fstab and the bloody thing still doesn't boot - fsck and superblock routine at boot......
    Helppppppppp


    Mors

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    18
    No one knew the answer, so I sussed it myself!!
    Multiboot was the key - I edited the fstab on the bloody wrong partition!! hahahahaha
    The one I needed to edit was hda4, I was editing hda2 hahahaha
    I looked at the one on hda4 and it was blank!! I put a single line in to mount the partition and put it as ext3 and rw,rebooted, and viola, knoppix hdd install sorted itself out and rejigged the fstab for me to add all the other drives!!

    I'll try and help out in future if anyone gets a problem like this!

    Muchimus gracias

    Mors

Similar Threads

  1. Changing USB install to read-write
    By raesene in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 06:01 PM
  2. HOW-TO: get read/write access to HD?
    By kevingpo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM
  3. Change OS read only file to read/write after "poor man'
    By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
  4. Knoppix STD with ntfs read-write
    By Markus in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2004, 04:59 PM
  5. can't change read/write mode on HDD
    By Dioran in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99