-
dvd burning @ 1X
I have just recently lost a hard drive to the RAW format and knoppix is able to read the disc with no errors compared to windows. I have been able to burn backup dvds with my sony dru 710a wich is capable of 16x, but they have only been burning at 1x. I am using the k3b software that comes with knoppix v 3.9 but have found no way of increasing the speed, although it starts the burn process saying it will burn at 8.2x, but for sure only burns at 1x. I am using growisof within k3b to burn the dvd. I have also noticed that my temp file size is only 189 megs, any way to increase this?. my cpu specs are a P4,256 RAM, cd-rw and dvd-rw ,plus a 20 gig, 60 gig, and 200 gig hard drive.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: dvd burning @ 1X
--It may be the media is only capable of writing at 1x. How long is the burn taking?

Originally Posted by
tmarr04
I have just recently lost a hard drive to the RAW format and knoppix is able to read the disc with no errors compared to windows. I have been able to burn backup dvds with my sony dru 710a wich is capable of 16x, but they have only been burning at 1x. I am using the k3b software that comes with knoppix v 3.9 but have found no way of increasing the speed, although it starts the burn process saying it will burn at 8.2x, but for sure only burns at 1x. I am using growisof within k3b to burn the dvd. I have also noticed that my temp file size is only 189 megs, any way to increase this?. my cpu specs are a P4,256 RAM, cd-rw and dvd-rw ,plus a 20 gig, 60 gig, and 200 gig hard drive.
-
the burn is taking around 45 minutes, and i know the dvd+r disks are capable of 8x...actually they are 8x and up disks, but it has been working the same as the sony 1x disks that i had earlier...so far i have just been burning and burning for days...please help and thank you
-
Senior Member
registered user
You may need to turn on DMA for the drive(s). What device is the DVD burner (IDE primary slave, secondary master, or secondary slave)?
Example syntax (as root)
' hdparm -c1 -d1 -u1 /dev/hdb ' == If primary slave
--Other than that I can't really think of anything.

Originally Posted by
tmarr04
the burn is taking around 45 minutes, and i know the dvd+r disks are capable of 8x...actually they are 8x and up disks, but it has been working the same as the sony 1x disks that i had earlier...so far i have just been burning and burning for days...please help and thank you
-
I have turned on dma before and it causes a buffer error, probably because my temp file size is only 189 megs. Just to let you know tho it is on secondary ide as slave
-
Senior Member
registered user
--I don't see how a DMA error would be related to "temp file size"... What do you mean by that, anyway? 189MB of swap should be sufficient if you have at least 128MB of RAM, unless ' free ' or ' top ' says it's filling up. You can always try booting Knoppix into a different windowmanager that uses less resources, as well - KDE is a hog.
--Are you using 80-wire IDE cables? On this old HP P500 that I'm using, the motherboard IDE was absolute crap and didn't really support DMA, even with the right cables. You can get an add-in PCI IDE 133 card for under $20 though, and put the DVD burner on that. When I did this on the faulty HP box, I had no more problems with burning.
--You can take a look at the kernel source ( Device drivers \ ATA/ATAPI support ) and see what IDE chipsets are supported. I'd go with a Promise or Silicon Image if I were you.
--Personally I prefer the Silicon Image SI0680; I've got 3 of them:
http://www.directron.com/ccdideraid.html
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...g&cm_ite=total
--I don't use the RAID functions, but it does a good job as an IDE 133 card. There's two different cards that use this chipset that I've found; the red one is slightly less compatible on some hardware, and the blue-green one is better - but usually more expensive; both perform about the same.
--The driver that gets loaded for it is "siimage" on kernel 2.4; it may be different on 2.6.
--There's an interesting feature called "Boot off-board chipsets first" that allows you to boot off the IDE card instead of the mobo; the Silicon Image gets assigned hda-hdd, and the onboard IDE gets hde-hdh. The Silicon Image (or other driver) has to be compiled as Y instead of Module for that, and you pretty much have to boot with a floppy and know what you're doing; but that's the way I'm doing it.
--Also see:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_...vs-ata133.html
--Interestingly, the Promise card I found on Pricewatch here is a little cheaper, but it's not RAID and it's "used":
"This Maxtor controller card features a Promise technologies PDC20269 chipset" == Which is listed in the kernel source.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...3PCI-U&cat=CCD

Originally Posted by
tmarr04
I have turned on dma before and it causes a buffer error, probably because my temp file size is only 189 megs. Just to let you know tho it is on secondary ide as slave
Similar Threads
-
By Shorinusa in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-27-2009, 05:08 PM
-
By clifbone in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-20-2005, 10:12 PM
-
By zeroshard in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-06-2005, 05:04 AM
-
By sn0wflake in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-15-2004, 08:08 AM
-
By sblacklord in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00

Vintage AppleDesign Keyboard M2980 ADB Macintosh Mac 1994 Apple Computer
$35.00

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

Apple Macintosh Classic II M4150 Vintage All-In-One Home Computer
$70.00

Vintage Apple M0116 Keyboard Macintosh Mac With Orange Alps + Cable
$139.87

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC 512K VRAM SIMM M0517LL/A 68-Pin 820-0313-03 Boxed
$99.00

Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals
$50.00

Vintage Mac System 7 Personal Upgrade Kit Apple Software 3.5” Floppy 1991 NEW
$142.45

Vintage Apple Mac PC Max604cpu PowerPC Processor CPU Daughterboard
$54.95