Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Boot knoppix from other kernel

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    Boot knoppix from other kernel

    Hi,

    I just upgraded my machine and found it unusable afterward, so I have to fix it. I booted knoppix, but realized that Knoppix doesn't come with Reiser4 support. All my partitions but /boot are Reiser4.

    Of course I have Reiser4-support on my own kernel at /boot, so I thought; why not boot up this kernel and pass root= to the Knoppix-CD?

    Then the question comes: how do I do this?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Boot knoppix from other kernel

    ( sigh ) I know this is the Knoppix forum, but it sounds like you need a live-cd that has reiser4:

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Reiser4_Enabled_Live_CD

    --The Knoppix livecd boot process is different from the "normal" way a system boots; I doubt what you are thinking would work unless you remaster the CD with a different kernel.

    --AFAIK, Reiser4 is Alpha / Beta status, and most distros don't support it yet (including Knoppix.) (Backups are your friend.)

    --What distro are you using to test reiser4, BTW? I'm interested in the reputed performance improvements, but a _lot_ of apps are going to be confused by the new filesystem semantics / API.

    Quote Originally Posted by lars.tobias
    Hi,

    I just upgraded my machine and found it unusable afterward, so I have to fix it. I booted knoppix, but realized that Knoppix doesn't come with Reiser4 support. All my partitions but /boot are Reiser4.

    Of course I have Reiser4-support on my own kernel at /boot, so I thought; why not boot up this kernel and pass root= to the Knoppix-CD?

    Then the question comes: how do I do this?

    Thanks!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    Re: Boot knoppix from other kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    ( sigh ) I know this is the Knoppix forum, but it sounds like you need a live-cd that has reiser4:

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Reiser4_Enabled_Live_CD
    Yeah, I know. Tried that one, but it hangs trying to mount the CD-ROM. Don't have DVD-ROM so I cant try that version either...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --The Knoppix livecd boot process is different from the "normal" way a system boots; I doubt what you are thinking would work unless you remaster the CD with a different kernel.
    Right...I see. Bad luck for me, I guess. :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --AFAIK, Reiser4 is Alpha / Beta status, and most distros don't support it yet (including Knoppix.) (Backups are your friend.)
    Yeah, I know it's kinda experimental. I have been testing it since release 1.0 and it has worked perfectly. I don't really want to do a backup-restore either, as it is kind of a lot of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --What distro are you using to test reiser4, BTW? I'm interested in the reputed performance improvements, but a _lot_ of apps are going to be confused by the new filesystem semantics / API.
    I use Gentoo, of course! The reputed performance improvements are true in most cases, I noticed a big difference from ReiserFS.

    I haven't had any confused apps yet. And I guess it has very good backward compatibility with the usual UNIX file system semantics.

    As for my problem, I guess I have to figure out something else. Thanks anyway!

    --
    Regards, Lars Tobias

Similar Threads

  1. Can I boot Knoppix with Kernel 2.6 of a USB fob ?
    By spyhome in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 02:29 PM
  2. Boot problems after using Knoppix 3.7 with kernel 2.6
    By rosid in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 12:28 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 02:17 PM
  4. knoppix 3.7, kernel 2.6.9, boot from /dev/uba
    By jbreiden in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 07:54 AM
  5. Errors and kernel panic during boot (2.6 Kernel)
    By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$345.97



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty picture

New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty

$895.00



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch picture

Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch

$164.98



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed picture

New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed

$466.65