-
Re: Boot knoppix from other kernel

Originally Posted by
Dave_Bechtel
Yeah, I know. Tried that one, but it hangs trying to mount the CD-ROM. Don't have DVD-ROM so I cant try that version either... 

Originally Posted by
Dave_Bechtel
--The Knoppix livecd boot process is different from the "normal" way a system boots; I doubt what you are thinking would work unless you remaster the CD with a different kernel.
Right...I see. Bad luck for me, I guess. :-/

Originally Posted by
Dave_Bechtel
--AFAIK, Reiser4 is Alpha / Beta status, and most distros don't support it yet (including Knoppix.) (Backups are your friend.)
Yeah, I know it's kinda experimental. I have been testing it since release 1.0 and it has worked perfectly. I don't really want to do a backup-restore either, as it is kind of a lot of work.

Originally Posted by
Dave_Bechtel
--What distro are you using to test reiser4, BTW? I'm interested in the reputed performance improvements, but a _lot_ of apps are going to be confused by the new filesystem semantics / API.
I use Gentoo, of course!
The reputed performance improvements are true in most cases, I noticed a big difference from ReiserFS.
I haven't had any confused apps yet. And I guess it has very good backward compatibility with the usual UNIX file system semantics.
As for my problem, I guess I have to figure out something else. Thanks anyway! 
--
Regards, Lars Tobias
Similar Threads
-
By spyhome in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-26-2005, 02:29 PM
-
By rosid in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-03-2005, 12:28 PM
-
By hookan in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 02:17 PM
-
By jbreiden in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-20-2004, 07:54 AM
-
By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00

CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO- 32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard
$370.00

HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P
$319.99

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00

Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor
$259.99

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99

Intel Core Ultra 5 235T SRQES Desktop CPU
$109.99

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4
$229.95