Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: pikaone ripcase usb cd writer - knoppix sees it but ..

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8

    pikaone ripcase usb cd writer - knoppix sees it but ..

    hi,
    I downloaded and burned a Knoppix cd last night, wonderful system!

    I am trying to recover many megabytes of files from a broken XP pro system .. I have a Pikaone ripcase cd writer and a 60 megabyte pen drive.

    I can use the pen drive.... /mnt/uba1 ... to copy files. .. but I have been unable to burn files using the Pikaaone ripcase. .. Knoppix sees the device /mnt/ubb .... but when I click to view files on a cd I can't see the files ..

    I changed the ownership of /mnt/ubb by ... "su root" and then "chown knoppix ubb" .. this did change the ownership of /mnt/ubb to knoppix .. but still no joy seeing any files on the cd or writing to it

    When I right click on /mnt/ubb and choose "create data cd with K3B" I drag the files in , hit burn, and receive the message "K3B did not find a suitable writer ... you will only be able to create an image"

    any ideas?
    cheers
    max

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    The requirements of k3b list cdrecord, so it seems likely to need a scsi(-emulation) interface. Older versions of knoppix
    (I think up to 3.6) and also the current kanotix support this (i.e. show usb devices as sdx rather than ubx); unless you install knoppix to hard disk and recompile the kernel your usb burner will probably not work.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --This is a 2.6 kernel vs 2.4 kernel issue. Kernel 2.6 is at fault for having broken SCSI emulation. Earlier versions of Knoppix use kernel 2.4.

    --I know, cuz I have the same problem with my USB DiscClone II. I have to connect it to a 2.4 system to allow the thing to burn.

    Quote Originally Posted by angor
    The requirements of k3b list cdrecord, so it seems likely to need a scsi(-emulation) interface. Older versions of knoppix
    (I think up to 3.6) and also the current kanotix support this (i.e. show usb devices as sdx rather than ubx); unless you install knoppix to hard disk and recompile the kernel your usb burner will probably not work.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    For the record, 3.7 (not 3.6) was the last version to include a 2.4 kernel.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    > This is a 2.6 kernel vs 2.4 kernel issue. Kernel 2.6 is at fault for having broken SCSI emulation.

    Sorry, but I have to disagree: From "make menuconfig":
    <quote>
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB
    This driver supports certain USB attached storage devices
    such as flash keys.

    Warning: Enabling this cripples the usb-storage driver.

    If unsure, say N.
    </quote>

    Disable this, enable scsi emulation and it works just dandy, at least with my Archos MiniCDRW (kernel 2.6.12.2
    and a few versions before that). YMMV, of course.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    D00d, j00 are my friend for life! I recompiled my kernel and that fixed it - at least on my laptop. Thanks mucho.

    Quote Originally Posted by angor
    > This is a 2.6 kernel vs 2.4 kernel issue. Kernel 2.6 is at fault for having broken SCSI emulation.

    Sorry, but I have to disagree: From "make menuconfig":
    <quote>
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB
    This driver supports certain USB attached storage devices
    such as flash keys.

    Warning: Enabling this cripples the usb-storage driver.

    If unsure, say N.
    </quote>

    Disable this, enable scsi emulation and it works just dandy, at least with my Archos MiniCDRW (kernel 2.6.12.2
    and a few versions before that). YMMV, of course.

Similar Threads

  1. Windows sees Knoppix-created partitions, but only sometimes
    By fergus in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 09:30 AM
  2. Knoppix 5.0.1 'sees' eth0 but network stays DOWN
    By JohnnyH in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 05:34 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.7 sees mouse, 4.0.2 does not...ever
    By phazon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 04:47 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 08:08 PM
  5. Memory over 1 gigabyte not seen by Knoppix, BIOS sees it
    By greenbridge in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 05:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD picture

HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD

$199.95



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



10GbE pfSense Firewall VPN AES QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 32GB DDR4 256GB SSD picture

10GbE pfSense Firewall VPN AES QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 32GB DDR4 256GB SSD

$220.00



Sophos XG 125 Rev.3 Desktop Firewall 8x GbE 1x SFP Wiped - No Power Adapter picture

Sophos XG 125 Rev.3 Desktop Firewall 8x GbE 1x SFP Wiped - No Power Adapter

$74.99



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware picture

Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware

$89.99