Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: "text" icon on desktop won't delete

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    "text" icon on desktop won't delete

    I have a new little problem.

    I have this icon on my desktop named ".directory" that won't delete, or at least make invisible. It appears to be a system file.

    It looks like an icon of the text it contains, as it it basically white with some text in it as it appears on my desktop.

    How do I get rid of this? I tried turning of viewing hidden system files, but that did not change anything.

    If I delete it, it comes right back after rebooting.

    Hmmm.

    sakiZ

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Fixed It!

    Well, this solution was embarassingly easy.

    I had assumed I should try to hide this ".directory" icon by clicking on the taskbar where it gives you the option of hiding system files.

    Nope.

    The solution was to click on the Control Center > Desktop>Behavior>File Icons

    and unclick "Show Hidden Files"

    sakiZ

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    sakiZ,

    Nice job. Resolved it on your own, but, better yet, anyone else who might be caught with this same issue, can now, follow your lead...

    I, kinda, had the same problem with disc drives... I'd get duplication hard drives, etc... on the desktop - twos of almost everything...

    Came to find out, I had another one of those things, like in your case, set to display them, including my own icons I make up...

    Good Job
    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. Desktop locks up when early "open window" msgbox i
    By cvevans in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2006, 05:45 AM
  2. text mode or "X"
    By dougvega in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 08:58 AM
  3. How do I get "delete" access to FAT 16/32 partitio
    By mapangojoe in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 05:53 AM
  4. How can I start the KDE desktop after "KNOPPIX 2"
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 08:55 AM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NWT Vintage TUMI Safecase Deluxe Adjustable Computer Brief Bag 2632 w/ Sleeve picture

NWT Vintage TUMI Safecase Deluxe Adjustable Computer Brief Bag 2632 w/ Sleeve

$449.50



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Lot of 4 Vintage Intel i486 DX2 CPU Processors for Gold Scrap Recovery picture

Lot of 4 Vintage Intel i486 DX2 CPU Processors for Gold Scrap Recovery

$99.99



Bering OptiPac 3315 OPT 401 205 HP / IBM Vintage Storage PC Computer 1983 3.5” picture

Bering OptiPac 3315 OPT 401 205 HP / IBM Vintage Storage PC Computer 1983 3.5”

$100.00



AU SELLER VINTAGE SOUND CARD RME DIGI 96/8 PRO

AU SELLER VINTAGE SOUND CARD RME DIGI 96/8 PRO "A" GRADE EXAMPLE -TESTED

$390.48



Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts picture

Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts

$49.78



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99