-
Low end PC
I tried to install the 3.9 on an old IBM 300GL with a Celeron 466/192 RAM, I do the beginner install, when I input the user password I got an error that the white background image can not be loaded, and the password field is corrupted I can't see what's in there, after many retries I still can not verify my password. The onboard video is intel810 with 1M shared memory that I can't change, but I installed Ubuntu on the same hardware without problem, it seems that Knoppix has much higher requirement on hardware.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Low end PC

Originally Posted by
lotech
it seems that Knoppix has much higher requirement on hardware.
Really? You don't come right out and say it, but the implication is that Knoppix runs just fine on that system as it was intended to run, from the CD. So I hardly think it likely that KNoppix needs more resources when run from disk than from CD, i's much more likely just another in the long list of issues installing something that wasn't designed for HD install.
OH, and I'm moving this to the HDD install forum where it makes more sense.
-
It took centuries to load the desktop config so I can't change the wall paper to reduce memory useage, and if I can pass the password setup screen then I will know how good is the HD install, may be I got a bad display card.......
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
lotech
It took centuries to load the desktop config so I can't change the wall paper to reduce memory useage, and if I can pass the password setup screen then I will know how good is the HD install, may be I got a bad display card.......
I'm not sure what you mean by the desktop config, but if you mean just a normal boot into the gui, well it takes me less than centuries on even lower rated computers. So there could be other issues, like maybe the CD was burnt at a high speed.
-
I'm running it on a P233 mmx with 96MB ram and a 4meg video card
I'm breaking no benchmark records but it takes less than 2 minutes to boot to gui (unless I use KDE) from a hd install
-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix is very fast.
Knoppix/kde in my celeron 1GHZ/116RAM is 3/4 ninutes faster to load than Ubuntu/gnome. Once loaded bother ubuntu take almost the same time to open the root shell as knoppix to open openoffice
And once installed performance obviusly increase.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600
$239.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s
$59.00

Western Digital Gold 2TB WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB2 3.5" 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
$59.99

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99