-
Aspell, Ispell I can't spell
I'm using Kanotix Live CD and have tried to get aspell or ispell working so that Kmail will do spell checks on my email. First, I just used unionfs cheat, and each time I booted I had to apt-get install the ispell or aspell. But it worked! Then, used the unionrw=/mnt/sda1/union cheat. And then when I ran apt-get install on ispell or aspell-bin, they installed to the union /usr/bin directory. But that didn't work, because then kmail said that the path must be wrong, but it couldn't start ispell or aspell.
So then I tried to install aspell-bin and the required lib using klik. And two cmg files were created. But they don't seem to do anything and running them doesn't help, because aspell is supposed to be invoked by kmail, I guess (and not as a standalone program).
Is there a way to get kmail to use the klik version of aspell?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-
Junior Member
registered user
randcoop,
If you are not partial to one mail program,Klik Sylpheed-claws.I have it and it has a spell checker built into it and works with out a hitch.This mail program is about three times faster than any of the others I have tried and it is only about 7.8MB in size.I have a hard drive install of mepis and use Thunderbird on it,which has the worst spell checker I have ever seen,so I use Sylpheed.cmg most of the time.Now I must mention Syplheed does not have a spell checker but Sylpheed-claws does and also has a lot of plugins for it,give her a try,Dennis
-
Thanks for the advice on sylpheed-claw. I'm not opposed to trying that program. Can I point sylpheed to the kmail folders that I use and have it see the mail that already exists?
-
Junior Member
registered user
randcoop,
If you are on alive cd,and have those folders saved,just email them to yourself and fire up Sylpheed before Kmail and it will get you mail,now if you are using a web based email like all of us do ,make sure you set sylpheed to leave messages on the server,that way you never loose them and you can sort them into folders on the server.I hope this answers your question.I am not a linux guru,and hope I understood what you were asking,Dennis
-
I'm working on it. What I'm doing is using a USB hard drive with a LiveCD. Kmail identifies the folders where mail is stored in the kmailrc file. So I edited that file to point Kmail to folders that are located on the USB drive.
I've since found out that Sylphfeed can't read maildir directories; it can only read (or import) mbox files (maildir directories store the mail files in a different format than mbox; mbox files are individual message files). Your solution (to email the messages to myself and then run Sylphfeed would work, I think, but it would take a while with a lot of messages.
I don't use web mail as my primary email system.
As I said, I'm working on it. Certainly the Slyphfeed-claws Klik program is working perfectly and spell checker in it works great. I've just got to figure out how to move my messages into its system.
-
Senior Member
registered user
As you said earlier, klik is designed to install standalone applications.
But there is still a way to make aspell work with kmail and klik (I didn't test it, but it should work):
1. klik aspell-bin
2. Edit /tmp/klik/aspell-bin_VERSION/wrapper
Change the line
$KONSOLE $BINARY "$@"
to
kmail
Then run /tmp/klik/aspell-bin_VERSION/wrapper to see whether kmail works with aspell now. If it does, rebuild your cmg with
mkcramfs /tmp/klik/aspell-bin_VERSION/ ~/Desktop/kmail-aspell.cmg
Greetings
probono
Similar Threads
-
By Dooley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-03-2005, 02:19 PM
-
By ufodoug in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 04:52 AM
-
By fish_guy in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-19-2003, 04:34 AM
-
By aay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-30-2003, 11:30 PM
-
By m487396 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU
$99.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key
$829.99

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$693.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00