Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Touchpad extremely sensitive and will not click drag

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    58

    Touchpad extremely sensitive and will not click drag

    I have a HP ze4500 laptop. I am using Knoppix 3.8/3.9. the touchpad in winblow$ is sometimes stiff sometimes mucho light touch. I have palm check at near max and it still is so sensitive I often have the cursor in a much different place when I look at the screen. It is slow and often very frustrating. In Knoppix it requires the very lightest touch possible and palm check, well let's just say it almost exists. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can improve this in Knoppix? I would appreciate it. Thank you
    I Remain - In Health & In Service,
    Captain Cautious

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    I have a ze4500 series notebook too, I used to have problems with the touchpad. I then switched to Kanotix, which is based on Knoppix. The support for the touchpad is not so great in Knoppix but it works just fine in Kanotix. You might give that a shot.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    58

    touchpad

    Thanks, I haven't tried that distro yet. Does the new DVD have any better support? I don't read German very well so I'm waiting on the English version.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    I unfortunately don't read German at all, so I am awaiting the 4.0 EN release as well. Till then, Kanotix is working quite well for me and I recommend it highly.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    58
    Well Try again, I accidently erased the post I had started. While I was thinking about how the touchpad workes I accidentlly dropped a piece of kleenex in it and watched the movement. Hmm I thinks... Then I took a piece of tisse and folded it once and then tried it Very good results! not idel but eminently usable. I too am looking for the En ver. of the DVD. I wonder how much more is on the DVD vs: the Lite. With the transparant decompression/compression will it be 9.4GB or aroiund 18 GB. It will be interesting to see. Have you looked at the beata 2.0 of open office? BTW, Kanotix was prety good but I guess I just like the feel of Knoppix better.
    Thanks a lot
    Captain Cautious

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    17
    Every time I've run into a laptop that has a flakey touchpad (super-sensitive, jumpy, or tap-click not working) under Linux 2.6 kernels, this fixes the problem:

    Code:
    psmouse.proto=imps
    Pass that parameter at boot (with Knoppix, type it as you would any other cheat code. For more permanent installs add it to your lilo or GRUB configuration file). 2.6 kernels mis-detect the touchpad and that will tell the kernel's mouse driver to use the imps protocol, which restores sanity to the world (well, to the touchpad, anyway).

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37

    but what about the drag feature

    I too have lost my drag ability when upgrading from knoppix 3.2 to knoppix 3.8. I there a way to get the driver off the 3.2 disk?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: but what about the drag feature

    Quote Originally Posted by pboodi
    I too have lost my drag ability when upgrading from knoppix 3.2 to knoppix 3.8. I there a way to get the driver off the 3.2 disk?
    No, the drivers are from two different branches of code and are not compatible in the way that you want them to be. You will have to seek a solution within knoppix 3.8.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    58
    Foam-
    While trying to do somethig more convienent I hooked up my ps2 wheelmouse to the ze4500 laptop and Presto pointer problems solved. Acceleration was still a shade off but all the really problematic stuffs SOLVED! Hope this helps others out there too.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    Yep, external mice are definitely A Good Thing(tm)
    Their drivers are much more standardized.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 05:13 AM
  2. Unable to drag/drop folders from an old hdd to a usb hdd.
    By jheaney in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2006, 05:37 PM
  3. Hyper-Sensitive Touchpad
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 08:54 PM
  4. KDE drag and drop of menu items - unstable
    By zxc in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 03:38 AM
  5. How do you turn off tap click with a touchpad.
    By gotsanity in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 06:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A picture

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A

$89.95



Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM picture

Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM

$19.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00