As root: update-rc.d -f gpm removeOriginally Posted by pearman
To get it back: update-rc.d gpm defaults
Hi Folks,
Is there someone who would please help me get my mouse working again?? Would I ever appreciate it!
I installed Knoppix to hard disk a while ago. My PS/2 mouse stopped working after I upgraded using aptitude. Some details:
Mouse works when I boot to the 2.6.x kernel but doesn't with the 2.4.26.
The keyboard works with the 2.4.26.
root@pearman:/dev# ls -l mouse
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jul 16 21:18 mouse -> /dev/psaux
/etc/X11/XF86Config contains the following lines:
Section "Keyboard"
Protocol "Standard"
AutoRepeat 500 5
LeftAlt Meta
RightAlt Meta
ScrollLock Compose
RightCtl Control
# This is just the default keymap for X.
# May be changed with the KDE international keyboard tool.
XkbModel "pc105"
XkbLayout "us"
# XkbOptions "ctrl:swapcaps"
# XkbKeycodes "xfree86"
# XkbTypes "default"
# XkbCompat "default"
# XkbSymbols "us(pc101)"
# XkbGeometry "pc"
# XkbRules "xfree86"
# XkbModel "pc101"
# XkbLayout "us"
EndSection
Section "Pointer"
Protocol "PS/2"
Device "/dev/mouse"
Emulate3Buttons
Emulate3Timeout 70
EndSection
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 contains the lines:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection
I notice the following:
root@pearman:/# ps -A | grep gpm
1254 ? 00:00:00 gpm
And I notice that a nearly identical Knoppix installation on another computer, also with kernel 2.4.26, has these same lines in its FX86Config files, yet gpm isn't running and it's PS/2 wheelmouse works fine.
Could gpm actually be causing this problem? I find:
root@pearman:/# cat /etc/gpm.conf
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=autops2
append=''
sample_rate=
If gpm is the problem, how do I get it not to start at boot?
I would certainly appreciate any ideas, because I don't seem to have any more![]()
Peter
As root: update-rc.d -f gpm removeOriginally Posted by pearman
To get it back: update-rc.d gpm defaults
Markus,
Well, that hunch seems to have been right. Removing gpm has freed up the mouse.
Thanks a bunch for the tip on how to do it.
Peter

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99
Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00
Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99
Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00
nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00