Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I messed up XF86Config-4

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9

    I messed up XF86Config-4

    I have installed knoppix to my HD. While playing with the X config utility on the KDE menu (in Kcontrol), I got my my XF86Config-4 file screwed.

    Since Knoppix did a good job of detecting and setting up my hardware (X included), I was wondering if I could get it to do it again? I have edited the XF86Config-4 file by hand until I'm blue in the face. Easy X configuration sure is a weakness in Linux. The only time I've ever had a working X config was whenever the distro did it for me.

    I'll take suggestions on doing it by hand. But, I'd really like to see if I can use Knoppix's built-in utiility to do it for me.

    Thanks,
    Darren

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Boot your knoppix cd with the proper settings and the mount your hd partition and copy the knoppix cd XF86Config-4 file to your hd partition.

    HTH

    rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    You could always boot the disk and copy the file over eh?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9

    got it, thanks

    Using my Knoppix CD was the ticket. I can't believe I didn't think to do that.

    Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

    In case anyone follows this thread and isn't sure how to do it, here's a step by step.

    • o Boot to the Knoppix CD
      o Start an xterm (or some other command line interface)
      o mount your existing partition. For example:
      (sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6)
      o copy your current config file
      (sudo cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hdb6/etc/X11/XF86Config-4)
      o reboot

    Darren

Similar Threads

  1. i think i messed up windows...
    By rossndahood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 09:41 PM
  2. Messed up NTFS HDD
    By Styrus in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 12:22 PM
  3. Desktop messed up???
    By doesnotcompute in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 12:12 AM
  4. Think I messed somthing up
    By astump in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 07:21 PM
  5. deb-System messed up?
    By keboerg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-22-2003, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$34.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU

$50.00



LOT OF 3 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD M.2 SATA NVME MIXED LOTS  Major Brands picture

LOT OF 3 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD M.2 SATA NVME MIXED LOTS Major Brands

$160.00



Lot of 7 M.2 2280 SSD  512GB SATA  Multiple brands Tested picture

Lot of 7 M.2 2280 SSD 512GB SATA Multiple brands Tested

$250.00