-
X goes out to lunch with Knoppix 3.2
Using Knoppix 3.2 (4-15-2003) when Knoppix tries to start X, the video goes blank and no signal is being sent to my monitor. Haven't had that problem with any version up til this. 3.1 boots up fine as did the other 3.2 versions (although I had and have been having some strange mixture of german/english issues). When booting, it looks like it detects the video card just fine. It also looks like maybe the image for the boot floppy on the English iso is a german boot disk.
-
Senior Member
registered user
What Cheat Codes have you tried what is the video card, a little more information is needed.
-
The card is an older ATI AIW that uses a Rage128 chipset. I've tried no cheat codes.
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
You should try ar least knoppix testcd and knoppix failsafe to make sure the cd is good and it will boot with minimal hardware detection.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Assuming your disc checks out with 'testcd' try booting with
xmodule=ati You may also need to add aditional codes too like so:
knoppix lang=us wheelmouse xmodule=ati
-

Originally Posted by
Stephen
You should try ar least knoppix testcd and knoppix failsafe to make sure the cd is good and it will boot with minimal hardware detection.
I know that the CD is good. It booted fine on another system.
Thanks
-

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
Assuming your disc checks out with 'testcd' try booting with
xmodule=ati You may also need to add aditional codes too like so:
knoppix lang=us wheelmouse xmodule=ati
Thanks, I'll give it a try. What would the cheat code xmodule=ati buy me if Knoppix appears to be detecting the Rage128 chipset properly?
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
computerguy
I know that the CD is good. It booted fine on another system.
Thanks
I believe this to be a false positive. Your download would be considered incomplete if it missed just one byte of data. If Knoppix never attempts to use that data then theoretically it would boot just fine BUT if on another machine it did need that one byte.........know what I mean? 'testcd' and using 'md5sum' are the only way to be absolutely sure of the integrity of your copy.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus

Originally Posted by
computerguy
I know that the CD is good. It booted fine on another system.
Thanks
I believe this to be a false positive. Your download would be considered incomplete if it missed just one byte of data. If Knoppix never attempts to use that data then theoretically it would boot just fine BUT if on another machine it did need that one byte.........know what I mean? 'testcd' and using 'md5sum' are the only way to be absolutely sure of the integrity of your copy.
Exactly I've had CD's that seem fine until install.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
computerguy
What would the cheat code xmodule=ati buy me if Knoppix appears to be detecting the Rage128 chipset properly?
Thanks
Hopefully it buys you a running xserver!
I have an S3 in aother machine and I boot 'xmodule=s3'
If 'failsafe' doesn't work you can always boot Knoppipx 2 and do some exploring to see if you can get it figured out. As always post back.
Similar Threads
-
By ewangr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic
$100.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$150.00

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle
$49.99

Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed
$125.00

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts
$71.95

Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested
$210.00

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00