You should consider that captive was most likely removed for a reason. As far as I can tell it doesn't really work. From all I have read (I've never used it and I have not heard any of the reasons for removing it from the developers), it still can destroy a NTFS partition, it just may take a few more writes for this to happen.

This is a design choice by Microsoft and they seem to have put a lot of effort into making sure that the NTFS system can't be written to safely by Linux. I expect they would also like to see that you can't even read the disk and recover from crashes with Linux, but it's harder to make Linux corrupt something if it's in read-only mode.

You best bet is to recover what you need with Knoppix and then delete everything and do a complete fresh install, the typical solution for many Microsoft problems. Of course, that install doesn't have to include Microsoft software ....