Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to replace UNIONFS in Knoppix 3.9?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    How to replace UNIONFS in Knoppix 3.9?

    I'm doing a remastering with 3.9 version and would like to replace buggy unionfs version (052605-1143) with stable 1.0.11-1 version.

    I can remove unionfs-module-2.6.11 with apt but also knoppix-image is removed at the same time. Then I can install unionfs-source and unionfs-utils with apt but not knoppix-image.

    Now the situation is that I have a working UNIONFS but can't choose 'create a persistent KNOPPIX disk image' from Knoppix menu, and the former created disk image is not recognized.

    How to get knoppix-image installed back? Is there an apt repository somewhere where it could be installed with apt?


    -tapsa-

  2. #2
    install unionfs-utils from debian

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    I found solution in an other tread:
    Code:
    dpkg-repack knoppix-image
    I had Knoppix 3.8.1 and got package knoppix-image_0.5-8_i386.deb from it with dpkg-repack. Then I installed it:
    Code:
    dpkg -i knoppix-image_0.5-8_i386.deb
    Now the case is closed!


    -tapsa-

  4. #4
    But now possibly you have doungraded knoppix-image

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey.Khlutchin
    But now possibly you have doungraded knoppix-image
    Yes, you are right. I think knoppix-image from Knoppix 3.9 can also be used. So
    Code:
    dpkg-repack knoppix-image
    in Knoppix 3.9 gives knoppix-image_0.5-9_i386.deb

    -tapsa-

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    Did this solution solve the problem for you?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by knopx4me
    Did this solution solve the problem for you?
    Yes and no. Now knoppix-image works but KDE does not start.

    This is a littlle bit out of topic but I get this in my /home/knoppix/.xsession-errors:
    Code:
    /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession: line 73: [: : integer expression expected
    /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession: line 77: [: : integer expression expected
    SocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
    SocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
    MakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local
    Cannot establish any listening sockets
    DCOPServer self-test failed.
    kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
    Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
    SocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
    SocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
    MakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local
    Cannot establish any listening sockets
    DCOPServer self-test failed.
    kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
    After this twm starts and gives error message of ksmserver which could not be started.

    This is at least fifth time I try to remaster Knoppix 3.9. This time I made a brand new remastering and used only stable and testing packages in updating (changed default-release to sarge and commented unstable out from sources.list). Only KDE 3.4.1 is experimental.

    But I can't understand whyI can start X from my chrooted remastering partition ('su - knoppix' and 'startx'). Anyhow, I got error message of DCOpServer that is already running but KDE starts and everything works. But why do they not work after doing a compressed fs and isofs?

    I hope that someone could tell me what those error messages mean and how to get rid of them.

    I have used menu based scripts in my remastering.


    -tapsa-

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    Did you do the following while chrooted:

    chmod 777 /tmp

    But anyway, the reason I asked you if it did work is that I have tried to remaster it several times after downgrading UnionFS, but failed so I gave up and remastered Kanotix instead.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by knopx4me
    Did you do the following while chrooted:
    chmod 777 /tmp
    No need for that anymore because in knoppix-autoconfig is line 524:
    Code:
    chmod 1777 /tmp 2>/dev/null
    So it is right by default. And as I said before, I can startx X in chrooted state fine.

    But when I do compressed fs and isofs, I can boot to text mode (boot: linux 2) but not in X. If I try to change to graphical mode by init 5, I get errors. Why can't I start DCOPServer here (booting my new remastering) but can start it there (chrooted)?

    One thing more. I can start an other X in my working remastering (from Knoppix 3.8.1) by su - knoppix and startx -- :2 (starts X to an other virtual terminal). It is the same as starting X in chrooted state. But in my new remastering (Knoppix 3.9). I get X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting. Why do I have no permissions to run X server? In spite of that /home/knoppix is populated right.

    Anyhow, I'm not giving up. There must be a solution somewhere. But I don't know KDE's starting process enough, so it's difficult to figure out what is not right. I think that knoppix-autoconfig is right because I can boot to text mode fine.

    So is the problem in 45xsession or in kdeinit which starts dcopserver? Perhaps someone could help me.

    I have also noticed that reversing back to stable UnionFS didn't help. Sometimes my whole machine is halted perfectly in spite of that. Perhaps the problem in Knoppix 3.9 has been kdeinit and not UnionFS .


    -tapsa-

Similar Threads

  1. does knoppix, use aufs? or unionfs? ...still says /UNIONFS..
    By starlyptErin_. in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 10:55 PM
  2. 6.0.1 USB, replace KNOPPIX?
    By panyo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2009, 07:09 PM
  3. Root file system links to UNIONFS (e.g. bin -> /UNIONFS/b
    By Jim Tonic in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 04:14 AM
  4. Replace kde by gnome in knoppix how-to?
    By suzan in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 03:08 PM
  5. Replace Suse 9.2 Pro with Knoppix or other OS
    By heydude in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 03:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30