This doesn't sound good. If you have changed the partitions, then Win98 should certainly reflect that. As a last effort you might go to the Win98 "My computer" window and select "View" the "refresh" and see if it thinks the partitions are bigger now (but I doubt if that will help).

I don't use the Linux tools on existing Windows partitions, I do my Windows partition work with the typical Windows tools or with Ranish Partition Manager. If you are lucky then the partitions are completely unchanged, you only think you made the changes but didn't do a key "save" step. If your luck is more like mine then you may have serious partition problems now. My advice is to look at the partitions with Win98's Fdisk and even a third party Win/DOS tool like Ranish and see what you can learn about the partition table. You could also run chkdsk, but that might make things worse if the partitions are now corrupt.

As to installing Knopix 4.0: I'm going to assume that you at least have enough sense to have read through the forums a little before decididng to do this, so I'll take it on faith that you have already seen plenty of the warnings that Knoppix is intended as a Live CD and isn't really the right choice for a hard disk install. So I just have one question: Have you actually tried installing a current version of Debian, which is intended for hard disk install, and come up with any reason why you want to install Knoppix instead, so that you are really making an informed choice in going with Knoppix installed to a hard disk rather than Debian, or are you skiping doing this simple step that you could easily undo at this point if you don't like it and instead just going with Knoppix because it's the first thing you've seen, much like a baby duck that follows whatever it sees when it hatches?