Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix rescue for Debian?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14

    Knoppix rescue for Debian?

    I eventually got Knoppix working, but need a hard disk linux system to install apps on.

    Following advice, I've gone to Debian, but hit problems with X. Debian doesn't like my mouse settings!

    I am currently using the Knoppix system.

    Is there anyway I can copy tte settings (or note them down) and then transfer them to the debian system so X will work?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is the file you need to copy. Assuming you're happy with the video auto-detection performed by the live CD, and that your debian HD-install lives on /dev/hdaX, try the following: (1st switch to root console by hitting <Alt-F1>)
    Code:
    # mount /mnt/hdaX
    # cd /mnt/hdaX/etc/X11
    # mv XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.bkp
    # cp /etc/XF86Config-4 .
    Upon rebooting debian, the copied X11 settings will be active.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I eventually got Knoppix working, but need a hard disk linux system to install apps on.
    You might have been better (or found life easier) installing Knoppix (or better Kanotix) to HD.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinny
    I've gone to Debian, but hit problems with X. Debian doesn't like my mouse settings!...
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    You might have been better (or found life easier) installing Knoppix (or better Kanotix) to HD.
    Fingers99 presents the other point of view favoring installing a live CD. I certainly respect his views and I expect that he is much more knowledgable about Linux than am I. However he has also posted statements like
    Also, we see plenty of posts like this one today about things that work fine from the CD but fail after HD install.

    So you can have problems installing Debian and you can have problems installing a Live CD. I still think that installing Debian is the better choice. As to the mouse problem, I've installed with old serial mice, with PS2 mice and with USB mice, all with no mouse problems. The install did suggest that I shoud wiggle the mouse as it was doing the detecting so it could be sure (something that Knoppix has never needed), I did that and all went well.

    If you feel you must install from a live CD and as in your case you have at least looked at doing a Debian install, you likely will have better results with Kantonix than Knoppix. Kantonix does seem to be putting some attention to the CD to try to minimize the install problems, Knoppix does not.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix to the rescue!
    By kefguy in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 08:49 PM
  2. Using Knoppix as a rescue CD
    By mc_03 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 10:36 PM
  3. HOWTO fix debian or knoppix/debian for Russian fonts
    By datakid in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
  4. Need help using KNOPPIX to rescue my PC - HP want me to RMA
    By j.drake in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 04:41 PM
  5. Knoppix to the rescue!
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM picture

Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM

$47988.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00