Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: booting from ISO on hard drive

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzofonts
    I tried:
    knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knx.iso debug
    Does not work. I get an error that says it cannot find the file. I'm thinking that it cannot find the image because the image is on a NTFS partition.
    Knoppix can mount and read an NTFS partition just fine. The above bootfrom= should have worked; I do it on my WinXP machines all the time. I can only think of three possible reasons why it would not work:

    1) /dev/hda1 is not the C:\ drive (that would be odd)
    2) the image is not in the root directory on C:\
    3) the image is not named knx.iso

    If you want to explore this further, boot up Knoppix from the CD and then type the following:
    Code:
    cat /proc/partitions
    fdisk -l /dev/hda
    and post the results.

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzofonts
    I also tried:
    bootfrom=/dev/hda5/knoppix/knx.iso (note, I left out the debug option)
    The good new is that this worked. The bad news is that I can't write to this partition when I boot from it.
    That's great news. You should be able to read and write to the FAT32 partition. There is a trick to doing that when you have your image on the same partition. I don't recall off the top of my head. But I'll post later when I am at a Windows machine. In short, it can be done and you don't have to repartition the FAT32 partition.

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzofonts
    Also, I don't see how the above (i.e. "bootfrom=/dev/hda5/knoppix/knx.iso") is any different than what I initially tried (i.e. "knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda5/knoppix/*.iso")
    You specified the full filename and not a pattern. For some reason patterns are not working. If you wish to delve into the code and debug why this is, have a look at the script /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig

    BTW, I reread your original post and realized you are using Knoppix 3.9. I had some issues with 3.9, especially when using unionfs and apt-get. So, I moved back to 3.8.2. Just a heads up.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9
    Hi, guys, I moved a little forward. I have met the error of "file not found", that is because my c:\ is not hda1 but hda2, I do not know what is wrong. My new probelm is after running the kernel and initrd command in menu.lst successfully, some message appears as:
    INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting
    Running Linux knernel 2.6.11
    processor 0 is ......
    ACPI BIOS found, activating modules: ac battery button container fan processor

    Then everything stopped, even the cursor don't flash. All I can do is to press the power button to swith off the computer. Anybody know what should be the reason? This issue really bothered me for a long time. Thanks in advance.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by quit5
    Anybody know what should be the reason? This issue really bothered me for a long time. Thanks in advance.
    How are you booting? What cheatcodes are you using?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9
    kernel (hd0,1)/KNOPPIX/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda2/KNOPPIX/K*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=131072 noprompt
    pause step4
    initrd (hd0,1)/KNOPPIX/minirt_ntfs.gz


    thanks, robert.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9
    Hi, guys, I finally made it through. Boot from one NTFS partition. The problems I met are:
    1. C:\ is not hda1 but hda2
    2. there is bug in the linux kernel I used. When I use the kernel included in the KNOPPIX image file, everything is fine.

    Thank you all for helps.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    solved

    Quote Originally Posted by quit5
    Hi, guys, I finally made it through.
    ...
    Thank you all for helps.
    Glad to hear it's working. And thanks for letting us know.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Booting from a USB key to a USB Hard drive - What the???
    By andrewbob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 02:29 PM
  2. trace on the hard drive after booting
    By nkrsta in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 05:44 PM
  3. Can't Get Hard Drive to Mount When Booting Up
    By glidetothehoop in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 02:41 PM
  4. Booting from external USB hard drive
    By mbl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 03:17 PM
  5. not booting correctly from hard drive.
    By ih8censorship in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 03:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD picture

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD

$149.99



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99



ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$71.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB Wifi 8th/9th Geb 1151 Motherboard picture

Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB Wifi 8th/9th Geb 1151 Motherboard

$84.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45