I always have a question about memory size and screen resolution, in the old time it is simple, just multiply the resolution with color space will do, ie. 1024 x 768 times N [8bit:1, 16bit:2, 24bit:3], if I want 256 colors I only need 768K so that a 1M card will do the job. But after trying different distro I get confused, I got an old PC with integrated video using 1M shared memory, it uses Intel i810 chip, but I can not use the driver comes with the OS(3.9), so I use VESA instead. The best it can do is 800x600@16bit that's what I expected, coz 800x600x2 is just less than 1M. But strange thing is that, the same PC running ubuntu can do 1024x768 at 16 or 24bit, I don't know how to check it on Gnome but obviously it is more than 256 colors. Can someone tell me what's going on here ?

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00
Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$10.99
PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99
Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00
Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$79.99
Intel Core i7-6700 Processor (3.40 GHz, 4 Cores, LGA 1151) - SR2L2
$34.99
Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99
Intel Core i5-8400T 1.7 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3X6
$28.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00