Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Check root mail

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    72

    Check root mail

    When I go into virtual terminal 3 Ctrl+Alt+F3 and log in as root, then I get a message that says root has new mail. How do I check it. Also, I think what the mail is is a log of the sudo use. When I am logged in as a regular user and then try to use sudo, it says I'm not in the sudoers file and its reporting me. How do I make it so that I can use sudo on a hardrive install?

    Also What is the command to delete a directory ever if there is something in it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    When I go into virtual terminal 3 Ctrl+Alt+F3 and log in as root, then I get a message that says root has new mail. How do I check it.
    You should be able to use the command 'mail'. If the system has console mailer like pine you can use that too.

    Also What is the command to delete a directory ever if there is something in it?
    Can be a dangerous command. Use sparingly.
    Code:
    rm -rf /path/to/directory

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    72
    Is pine in the GUI also?

    And when it says mail does it mean just that computer?

    Also, is there a way that I can make it so that my normal user can use sudo?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5
    If I recall correctly, pine work only in the terminal. Yes, the mail is only for that computer. (It's a log of everything that happens on THAT computer.) In order to be able to use "sudo", you will need to edit a file called "sudoers" in the /etc/ directory as root, I believe. (Memory isn't too good about that). Just do a "man sudoers" at a terminal for more information on how to edit your log. One more thing, DO NOT GRANT YOURSELF ROOT PRIVILAGES.

    root = ALL(ALL) // okay
    username = ALL(ALL) // NOT OKAY.

    If anyone else wants to correct me, feel free.

    Let us know how it goes,

    Radix

Similar Threads

  1. Top 3 best E-mail servers?
    By Hunkah in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 08:57 PM
  2. How to get mail to work?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 12:01 AM
  3. new mail? How?
    By colin stewart in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 08:16 PM
  4. Disk check gives root access!
    By trees in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 08:48 PM
  5. MAIL SERVER?
    By quakes in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 12:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle picture

Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle

$49.99



Vintage Apple USB Puck Mouse Model M4848 Grape Purple Tested picture

Vintage Apple USB Puck Mouse Model M4848 Grape Purple Tested

$49.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed picture

Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed

$125.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested picture

Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested

$210.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99