-
Junior Member
registered user
Unusual HD install using LILO - can this be done?
I'd like to install Knoppix to a hard drive, but in an unusual fashion. I'd ideally like to use LILO for this, although I'm guessing I could more easily pull it off with Syslinux. But let me explain what I'd like to do and maybe someone more familiar than I with LILO can tell me if it's possible:
I'd like to install the Knoppix image to a partition on my hard drive (as happens when one does tohd=/dev/hda1 for example) plus the initrd, but then use LILO to make the HD itself bootable, eliminating the need to boot from a CD. I figure I can use "append=" to specify the various options I need/want. The goal here is a "generic" Knoppix machine, running stock Knoppix only, with the speed gains of installing to a HD partition, but without the need for a Knoppix CD from which to boot.
Can I use LILO to pull this off? I've never seen a lilo.conf without a root= line, but I think that's the way to go in this case. I just need LILO to boot and load the kernel, Knoppix's magic will take care of everything else. I took a half-hearted stab at this once but it didn't work out. I just want to know if I'm wasting my time or if I should just use Syslinux or some other such approach.
I did get something like what I wanted by using a very small FreeDOS partition containing only the Knoppix kernel and initrd and a copy of loadlin, but that's an ugly solution requiring a whole other (albeit minimal) OS just to boot. There has to be an easier solution.
Similar Threads
-
By fadeh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-30-2005, 04:51 PM
-
By gnukish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-11-2005, 01:03 PM
-
By metafizz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-29-2005, 05:39 AM
-
By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-25-2004, 02:26 PM
-
By skryche in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-27-2003, 05:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$155.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$1444.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99

Protectli Vault FW4C-0-8-120 - 4 port, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 128GB
$180.00

OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe
$284.99