Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problem partitioning with qtparted

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3

    Problem partitioning with qtparted

    I installed V3.9-2005-5-27 and it installed OK and looks cool. Firefox even works!

    I then started qtparted from the command line. It started OK, but the only disk it found was

    /UNIONFS/dev/hdd.

    How do I make it find my hard disks so I can partition them? I was expecting it to say that it
    had found /dev/hda1, etc. but it didn't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Step 1) What is your PC's storage devices?
    Mine is:
    hda = 160GB IDE HD
    hdb = 80GB IDE HD
    hdc = DVDROM drive
    hdd = CDRW drive
    Either you might know it off the top of your head or you can run commands and get the output.
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -i hd
    dmesg | grep -i ide
    Step 2) You mentioned you installed Knoppix. Usually that phrase indicates that it was installed to a hardrive. Which hard drive & partition did you install to?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3
    I have two generic IDE disks (200 GB each). Each has NTFS partitions, no FAT.

    I used the wrong word. I didn't 'install' Knoppix. I booted it and it came up correctly.
    Then in a command window, I typed qtparted and it started ok but didn't list any hard disks. The
    only device it showed was /UNIONFS/dev/hdd

    How do I make qtparted even find the hard disks? Until I partition them, I can't install
    Knoppix or anything else. Why doesn't it find the disks automatically?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Code:
    dmesg
    dmesg | grep -i hd
    dmesg | grep -i ide
    Those commands will spit out info onthe devices that Knoppix has found. Somewhere in the output should be info about your IDE controller and the drives. You need to know if it is finding them before you can get qtparted to work.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3
    I did the following (I hope I copied this all correctly)

    # dmesg | grep -i hd
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
    hda: WDC WD2000JB-00DUA0, ATA DISK drive
    hdb: WDC WD2000JB-00DUA0, ATA DISK drive
    hdc: PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1610A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    hdd: PHILIPS DVDRW228, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    hda: max request size: 1024KiB
    hda: 390721968 sectors (200049 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=24321/255/63
    hda: cache flushes supported
    hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 > hda3
    hdb: max request size: 1024KiB
    hdb: 390721968 sectors (200049 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=24321/255/63
    hdb: cache flushes supported
    hdb: hdb1 hdb2 < hdb5 hdb6 > hdb3
    hdc: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
    hdd: ATAPI 32X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
    SCSI device sda: 781422768 512-byte hdwr sectors (400088 MB)
    SCSI device sda: 781422768 512-byte hdwr sectors (400088 MB)
    VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev hda.
    VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev hda.
    VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev hdb.
    VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev hdb.
    e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex
    e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex
    hdd: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hdd: media error (bad sector): error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
    end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 1310080
    Buffer I/O error on device hdd, logical block 327520

    Then I did
    # dmesg | grep -i ide
    CPI: IRQ0 used by override.
    ACPI: IRQ2 used by override.
    CPU: After generic identify, caps: bfebfbff 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000400 00000000 00000000
    CPU: After vendor identify, caps: bfebfbff 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000400 00000000 00000000
    CPU: After generic identify, caps: bfebfbff 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000400 00000000 00000000
    CPU: After vendor identify, caps: bfebfbff 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000400 00000000 00000000
    PCI: Ignoring BAR0-3 of IDE controller 0000:00:1f.1
    Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
    ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
    ICH4: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:1f.1
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
    Probing IDE interface ide0...
    ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
    Probing IDE interface ide1...
    ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
    Probing IDE interface ide2...
    Probing IDE interface ide3...
    Probing IDE interface ide4...
    Probing IDE interface ide5...
    Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
    Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown

    Finally I did
    # df /dev/hda1
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /UNIONFS 2779904 1973276 806628 71% /UNIONFS.

    I am not sure what this means though.

    I started qtparted again and got the message: Warning unable to open /UNIONFS/dev/hdd read-write

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4
    I have the same problem, have you got it fixed? Ifso, how did you fix it?

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with QTPARTED
    By cvcc12000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-17-2006, 09:42 PM
  2. Qtparted problem
    By spliknik in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 11:17 PM
  3. Help with QTParted partitioning
    By BillinBoston in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 06:12 PM
  4. question about partitioning with qtparted
    By jehan60188 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 04:06 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 01:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1539.00



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$312.73



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99