-
Knaked Knoppix
I am looking to build my own "distro". I am a relative newbie to linux, but an experienced Win and DOS user. What I am looking for is a version of Knoppix that, when installed to the hard disk, has already been stripped down; hence the title of this thread.
Whilst I leave it open to suggestion I feel that this should be a very basic version of Knoppix. Just the core files.
The Kernel - Well DUH (although 2.6 based is good)
The hardware detection - might as well use debian pure otherwise
The re-masterng bits - people will use it to build from
Apt - speaks for itself
Text editor - Being "Naked" it will have no X server, thefore is entirely CLI until you choose which X to use.
There are a few good reasons as to why I feel this route should be looked into...
Wth v4.0 we are now on DVD. Bandwidth still costs money. Whilst people who wish to try a fully fledged system wil want all the bells and whistles and stuff that they will never ever use, the re-master-ers will want a small customiseable download, getting only the bits they want. This thereby A: saves time in the download stage and B: saves time starting to remaster as you have a blank canvas.
I can see this as being a very helpful tool, esp as my bro-in-law has broken his system 3 times trying to cut and splice knoppix to his requirements (size being one of them).
Please feel free to ammend this idea, critisism welcome.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48

Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11
$699.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99