-
Trying knoppix but having two problems. Plz help
Hi everyone,
My first time posting here and first time giving linux a try. Currently using knoppix's 3.9 boot live cd w/ 2.6.11 kernel I believe. Some problems I'm running into, it appears that knoppix can't properly access my existing winxp partition. The desktop of knoppix shows several harddrive icons but in the brackets it only shows elipses(three periods ...). When I go into accessing them it doesn't show any items files or anything. I did a little searching on this but haven't had much luck figuring out how to proceed. I tried looking for captive ntfs at first but then notice that it wasn't there for 3.9.
My other problem is that I can't get my airlink AWLH3040(uses atheros chipset) wireless adapter to work under knoppix. Did a search for that as well and downloaded the netgate drivers here. I then proceed to use the ndiswrapper on this (ndis5x folder was the one I used). I get a dialog display saying it's mounted successful but that there are no new devices detected for it?
Would someone mind giving me a step by step mini tutorial for getting my internet up and running under knoppix? I've tried doing it myself for several hours in addition to doing searches on how to get it working with this adapter but I'm having little luck with it.
Thanks for any help
-
Senior Member
registered user
You may want to read the general advice about this forum here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16574
You should use a descriptive subject title for you post. It can be changed by editing your post. A bettersubject might be: "Access ntfs drives. Configure wireless."
Boot knoppix with the cheat code:
knoppix nofstab
Then when knoppix boots up completely to the GUI desktop, open a konsole command line window. In that command window we need to check if /mnt/hda1 exists:If it does, then skip this step. If it does not then make it:
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/hda1
Then mount the hda1:
Code:
sudo mount -t ntfs -o ro,users /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
Once you enter that command it should succeed but it will not give any status of it being successful. To check if all the file are there:Next you need to open up the GUI file manager:
Code:
sudo konqueror /mnt/hda1
Let us know how it went.
As for your wireless problems, I just wrote up my experiences with wireless here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...460&highlight=
It will be very much the same with the only differences in the downloading & extraction of the driver.
James
-
thanks for the help and instructions. Will give it a try and post back about what happens.
Thanks
-
Very good instructions from UnderScore.
I got access to my files made in the other OS without problems with those instructions.
Though my documents were stored in /dev/hda2, don't know why. So if you can not find your files after mounting /dev/hda1 don't give up. You may find those from other device.
PS. The mount example command caused error in my system
(NTFS-fs error (device hda1): ntfs_fill_super(): Not an NTFS volume. )
But mount without -t & -o parameter mounted the disk(s) successfully.
Similar Threads
-
By javiergp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
-
By wroseland in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-23-2006, 02:10 PM
-
By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
-
By lesshaste in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:50 PM
-
By pbearseven in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-14-2003, 11:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$290.24

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$329.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99