Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
Short answer: yes. Use the tool on the Knoppix menu to create a "persistent disk image," then use the cheatcode "home=/mnt/hda2/knoppix.img" (or whatever) to tell Knoppix about it at the "boot:" prompt.

It seems to be buggy, though. Every time I install something that adds an icon to the K menu, the kicker bar crashes and Knoppix won't cleanly unmount the image. (It runs fsck on it on next boot.)
Actually, are you able to check if upgrading of a packages is working. The reason I am asking is, there appear to be some unresolved issues pertaining to file deletion (called "white out", I think) in unionfs, when the original files being deleted are in read-only form (as in a cloop image). One package I had a problem with upgrading earlier was mozilla-firefox. Would it be possible for you to try upgrading this package alone (I am sure that the original version on Knoppix 4.0 is not the current 1.0.6 version) and see if everything goes smoothly (you may want to backup the original version using "dpkg-repack mozilla-firefox", which recreates the original deb, and try doing this upgrade on a fresh knoppix unionfs image, instead of your stable image).

Look forward to your findings.

thanks,
Tom