Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Copying CDs

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    Copying CDs

    I have a re-mastered CD with Java SDK 1.4.1 installed. I would like to make an ISO copy of it so its easy to burn multiple copies. How would I go about this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100

    Make iso from cd

    Humm...theres a few ways to do it but try "apt-get install cdrtoaster" and once installed click the button that says "do tricks"

  3. #3
    Breetai
    Guest

    Making an ISO image

    Use mkisofs command.

    Code:
    mkisofs -l -r -J -V "KNOPPIX-with-java" -hide-rr-moved -v \ 
    -b  /mnt/kdev/master/KNOPPIX/boot-en.img  \
    -c /mnt/kdev/master/KNOPPIX/boot.cat  \
    -o ~/knoppix-java.iso
    /mnt/kdev/master
    The important thing to note above, is that I am acting like the directory where you have mastered you new KNOPPIX system is in /mnt/kdev/master.

    If this is the case, then the following holds true -b is where the boot image files is. -c is where the boot catalog is at. -o is the path/name of where to output the iso image to and the last item with no option before it /mnt/kdev/master is the directory where the files that you want to burn to the CD exist at.

    I hope this is helpful.

    Also, I would LOVE to get a copy of this CD, or could you tell me what you had to drop to make room for JAVA?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100

    Makeing room

    Heres a few things you might want to remove to make room to add your own apps.
    kde-i18n* will remove all languages but english and free abour 105meg of hdd space.
    xfonts-intl-chinese,japanese and european
    asc,rocks-n-diamonds,nethack,freeciv are some of the big games.
    either k-office or open office (do you really need both) OO takes about 209meg.
    all irc clients except xchat
    all cdburner gui apps but for xcdroast.
    isdn*
    gnome* if you use kde (gnome takes about 76meg)
    festival
    lyx

    Basicly you just go thru the menus and say "do I need this" and apt-get remove whatever.Be sure if you remove some stuff to say "deborphan" and then dpkg -P anything that shows up.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Sorry, guys, I think that my post wasn't clear. I do not have the hardware to do my own remastering. A kind soul in the Netherlands heard I needed it done, he did it and sent me his CD in the mail!

    Thanx, Andrej, if you're listening. I think he's on the linuxtag forum...

    Anyway, I'm wondering how to make an iso copy of this CD so I can make multiple copies to use in class next year which requires Java SDK.

    He based his CD on the 10-10-2002 release of KNOPPIX and removed a few packages that I don't seem to be missing too much when I use it! I'm not sure what he removed, but he added sun's Java SDK 1.4.1 to the mix.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100

    copy cd to iso

    Ok here is the secret...dd will work but if you dont want a coaster ALWAYS USE CAT !Also MOUNT the cdrom before making the copy to insure that you dont get extra garbage and the md5 will check good.I will ASSUME that your cdrom is /dev/cdrom and you are working from a hdd install of Knoppix...if so then put in the cd you want to copy to an iso and do this :

    $su
    enter password
    #mount /dev/cdrom
    #cd /
    #mkdir knx
    #cd /knx
    #cat /dev/cdrom > jorge.iso
    #umount /dev/cdrom



    This will leave you with an exact copy of the compact disk in the form of an iso located in the /knx directory that you made on your root with the mkdir command.
    as an option if you want to look inside the new iso on the hdd you can do this (still in the knx directory (folder))


    #mkdir temp
    #mount -o loop jorge.iso /knx/temp
    #cd /knx/temp
    #ls

    You can also open a gui file manager and browse to /knx/temp...when done just :

    #cd /knx
    #umount temp

    [edit] I also posted this to the other forums you asked on

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Wow, you're kidding! All I need is cat? I thought there was some long drawn-out process involving dd. Also, cat will copy all the subdirectories on the CD recursively?

    This sounds simple. I have one problem, however. The machine with the burner does not have an HDD install of KNOPPIX yet. Can I boot the CD in question and use cat to create an ISO on the DOS HDD? Can't I just remount it for read/write access?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --You misunderstand. In this usage, ' cat ' is acting like dd, and making a *low-level* copy of the raw disk data. It doesn't know from subdirs.

    --If you just want to run Knoppix from HD, mount the CD in windoze and mkdir c:\knoppix, then copy x:\knoppix\knoppix to c:\knoppix\ . Boot from the CD into runmode 2 (boot: ' knoppix 2 ') and dd the boot-en.img file to /dev/fd0.

    ' dd if=boot-en.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k ' == boot-en.img should be in /cdrom/knoppix/ IIRC, you'll probably have to CD there 1st.

    --Once the floppy is finished writing, ' reboot ' and leave the CDR out of the drive. Insert the boot floppy and boot from that. The initrd will find the Knoppix filesystem on C:\knoppix ( /dev/hda1 or whatever) and it will be just like running from the CD. You can't just copy the entire ISO to the HD and mount it r/w because it's a COMPRESSED FILESYSTEM, and iso's are read-only anyway. This is why we have mkisofs.

    --Seriously Jorge, I highly recommend picking up a book on Linux Unleashed or something. This is basic-concepts stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Wow, you're kidding! All I need is cat? I thought there was some long drawn-out process involving dd. Also, cat will copy all the subdirectories on the CD recursively?

    This sounds simple. I have one problem, however. The machine with the burner does not have an HDD install of KNOPPIX yet. Can I boot the CD in question and use cat to create an ISO on the DOS HDD? Can't I just remount it for read/write access?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100

    cat

    Take a look at this site...cat works great for me

    http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux...m#_CreatingISO

Similar Threads

  1. Problems copying a CD
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 02:28 AM
  2. copying Knoppix
    By jokam in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 08:49 AM
  3. copying files
    By FireStorm in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 11:24 PM
  4. Copying from friend's CD
    By Tobobo in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 09:48 PM
  5. copying Knoppix
    By BradC in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 09:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Vengeance ram 32gb 6400 MT/S picture

Vengeance ram 32gb 6400 MT/S

$400.00



Samsung 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 1Rx8 288-Pin PC4 UDIMM Desktop RAM Memory M378A1K43CB2 picture

Samsung 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 1Rx8 288-Pin PC4 UDIMM Desktop RAM Memory M378A1K43CB2

$94.95



Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A picture

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A

$89.95



HyperX Fury RGB 64GB 4x16GB DDR4 3200 HP32D4U8D8HC-16XR Desktop RAM Tested picture

HyperX Fury RGB 64GB 4x16GB DDR4 3200 HP32D4U8D8HC-16XR Desktop RAM Tested

$201.75



Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM picture

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM

$145.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99