-
USB modem
Is USB modem a software modem that I must install driver for it ? I am using an old serial modem that has build in support on Linux don't need special driver, if USB modem is software modem that I will stay away from it coz I don't want to waste the resource for driving it.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Stay away from it! Some USB modem work with Linux, but usualy not. USB is software modem. Look this too, this is for me almost only known example of suport for USB software modem:
http://www.smlink.com/content.aspx?id=132
http://www.smlink.com/objects/Linux_instruction.txt
-
This news is a real bummer for me.... I've been happy plugging away on my DSL connection under windows with my DLINK DSL-200B, and finally tried Knoppix live cd.... bye bye internet.... It's not much use to me like this <sigh>
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sorry Ommadawn, I was speaking about dial-up USB modems, since lotech is "using an old serial modem that has build in support on Linux don't need special driver". I don't know situation about xDSL modems, but in general, USB devices are software ones and need drivers.
-
That's ok, I got it working using the EciAdsl drivers!!! Woot!
Even with the Live CD (though I have to reinstall the drivers and redo the setup each time I start the system, I can live with that for now. I only need to sort a few more issues out (such as accessing my ipaq in linux, and windows is going to be gone forever :P )
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Ommadawn
That's ok, I got it working using the EciAdsl drivers!!!
Glad to hear this! For permanent installation Kanotix is better. It is almost same as Knoppix, but it is intended for hdd installation. http://kanotix.com/
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Ommadawn
That's ok, I got it working using the EciAdsl drivers!!! Woot!
Even with the Live CD (though I have to reinstall the drivers and redo the setup each time I start the system, I can live with that for now.
Now that you got it working, I'd like to encourage you to write up a little How-To. For one, we can point the next person with the same problem to it. And second, if someone comes up with a better way, you'll know about it if you check "Notify me when a reply is posted".
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
-
Ok, I'll start it in a new thread, though.
Similar Threads
-
By jodef in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-31-2005, 08:21 AM
-
By Mic Q in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
-
By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
-
By FarAway in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
-
By www.rzr.online.fr in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0
$38.00

Intel Core Ultra 5 235T SRQES CPU Processor Excellent Used Condition
$88.00

Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor
$259.99

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 CPU 2.20GHz 22-Core 55MB 145W LGA2011-3 SR2JV Processor
$79.99

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99

LENOVO Thinkcentre M73 MICRO PC Intel Core I3-4130T 12GB 500GB Ubuntu
$79.99