Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: USB modem

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74

    USB modem

    Is USB modem a software modem that I must install driver for it ? I am using an old serial modem that has build in support on Linux don't need special driver, if USB modem is software modem that I will stay away from it coz I don't want to waste the resource for driving it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Stay away from it! Some USB modem work with Linux, but usualy not. USB is software modem. Look this too, this is for me almost only known example of suport for USB software modem:

    http://www.smlink.com/content.aspx?id=132
    http://www.smlink.com/objects/Linux_instruction.txt

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    9
    This news is a real bummer for me.... I've been happy plugging away on my DSL connection under windows with my DLINK DSL-200B, and finally tried Knoppix live cd.... bye bye internet.... It's not much use to me like this <sigh>

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Sorry Ommadawn, I was speaking about dial-up USB modems, since lotech is "using an old serial modem that has build in support on Linux don't need special driver". I don't know situation about xDSL modems, but in general, USB devices are software ones and need drivers.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    9
    That's ok, I got it working using the EciAdsl drivers!!! Woot!

    Even with the Live CD (though I have to reinstall the drivers and redo the setup each time I start the system, I can live with that for now. I only need to sort a few more issues out (such as accessing my ipaq in linux, and windows is going to be gone forever :P )

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by Ommadawn
    That's ok, I got it working using the EciAdsl drivers!!!
    Glad to hear this! For permanent installation Kanotix is better. It is almost same as Knoppix, but it is intended for hdd installation. http://kanotix.com/

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Ommadawn
    That's ok, I got it working using the EciAdsl drivers!!! Woot!

    Even with the Live CD (though I have to reinstall the drivers and redo the setup each time I start the system, I can live with that for now.
    Now that you got it working, I'd like to encourage you to write up a little How-To. For one, we can point the next person with the same problem to it. And second, if someone comes up with a better way, you'll know about it if you check "Notify me when a reply is posted".

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    9
    Ok, I'll start it in a new thread, though.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to open modem /modem busy
    By jodef in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 08:21 AM
  2. How To Install Modem Aztech Internal Modem Msp3880
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
  3. Dial-up Modem Issues. Keeps saying "Initializing Modem&
    By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
  5. Modem err : ALi Corporation Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link Modem]
    By www.rzr.online.fr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99