Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: root password reset itself

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    root password reset itself

    I recently did a Knoppix 3.7 install, and everything seemed to be going smoothly until this morning when I tried to input my root password and an error came up telling me that the password was incorrect. I tried several times, but it kept telling me that the password was wrong. I then booted into single-user mode and reset the root password, and then rebooted normally. Again when I tried to input the root password it told me that it was incorrect.

    Any ideas as to what could be causing this and how it can be fixed?

    Thanks a lot

    Jeff

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Is caps lock on?

    Are you using a non US (or non German) keyboard and making use of keys other than the alpha numeric ones?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    I wish

    Ha, I wish that I had caps lock on. And I am using a standard US keyboard. This appears to be a worse problem than just something stupid like caps-lock or keyboard.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    How did you perform your HD install? Which method did you choose: Debian, Beginner, Knoppix. See http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo

Similar Threads

  1. How to Reset Windows XP admin password with Knoppix
    By askme in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-25-2017, 02:47 AM
  2. What is the Root password in 3.4?
    By kidsatacrux in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 12:48 AM
  3. Root password?
    By CyberShadow in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 06:49 AM
  4. Root Password
    By VBgod in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 10:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yottamaster FS2 Dual Bay RAID USB 3.0 3.5in External HDD Enclosure Silver picture

Yottamaster FS2 Dual Bay RAID USB 3.0 3.5in External HDD Enclosure Silver

$65.00



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00