Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How do I modify Tulip network card driver for Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8

    How do I modify Tulip network card driver for Knoppix

    Hi all,

    I have a need to modify the Tulip network card driver so that Knoppix will recognize my card. My questions are:
    (1) I can't find the source code file for this driver. Where is it?
    (2) How do I compile the code and install it (or whatever the correct terminology is) so that Knoppix can use it? (I need step-by-step instructions.)
    (3) How can this be done since Knoppix is run from a CD and I obviously can't change the CD itself.

    I know the edit that's required for the source code since I've read that elsewhere on the internet.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: How do I modify Tulip network card driver for Knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by rcpilot
    I have a need to modify the Tulip network card driver so that Knoppix will recognize my card.
    Are you sure you want to do this within Knoppix? Compiling and debugging drivers is challenging enough on a fully installed Linux distro, e.g. Debian, Red Hat, Gentoo, Mandrake, without the additional challenges Knoppix has.

    Keep this in mind from Bumper-Sticker Computer Science:

    [Thompson's Rule for First-Time Telescope Makers] It is faster to make a four-inch mirror and then a six-inch mirror than to make a six-inch mirror.

    BTW, on a Debian install you can simply apt-get the sources. Similar ways exist on other distros. You can modify your apt sources under Knoppix, too.

    Good luck and let us know how things go.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I helped you identify the problem with your network card. It is made by Microsoft and is tweaked by MS to not work with Linux. If you want this to work from the Knoppix CD then you should replace your network card with a one that works with Linux.

    3Com 3c905b-tx will work with Linux & windows with no tweaking necessary. You can get it shipped to your house in most cases under $15.
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...rch=3C905B-TX/

    Or you can go to a local computer/office suppply store and buy a network card & try it out in the PC. If you don't like it or if it doesn't work, you can bring it back & get another one.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8
    Okay guys, you've convinced me. I followed UnderScore's hyperlink and just ordered a 3Com 3C905-TX (no "B", hmmm) from Compuvest for a grand total of $12.05.

    We'll see what happens.

    Thanks! I'll report back with the results.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.1 and the tulip driver
    By dboland9 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 08:34 PM
  2. Tulip card detection
    By pihhan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 01:34 PM
  3. is a driver of network card available
    By AHMED in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 01:45 PM
  4. SiS7012 audio card:unable to modify volume
    By franziski in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 10:23 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 05:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.66