Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Why is Knoppix so goddamn ugly.

  1. #1

    Why is Knoppix so goddamn ugly.

    Is bad enough Knoppix uses KDE, but the new background in Knoppix 3.9 takes the cake in garbage:
    http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8...xisshit2kv.jpg
    Can we do something about this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Its not what you're saying thats wrong but how you say it.
    There is nothing wrong with KDE itself but instead it is the choices that were made in regards to the GUI elements. I posted about the GUI problems here at the beginning of June. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19306

    It looks like Knoppix 4.0 DVD edition has some visual improvements. See Knoppix 4.0 screenshots http://www.virtualacuity.com/james/k...-other/knop40/

  3. #3
    Okay, the background is good, but it's still KDE.

    Also, why can't I unmount a drive when it's open in Konq? Gnome, Windows and OS X handles this nicely.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    KDE VERY Configurable

    Having recently run out of tweaks to my HD installation of v 3.7 , my only area left to conquer was the look.

    I found that KDE is very configurable and even amazed my self at how elegant I have made my KDE GUI look. It looks way better than my W*ndows installation.

    Even my wife, when she saw it exclaimed, "Wow, what is that?"

    It took me all of a few minutes.

    Try it.

    sakiZ

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    It looks way better than my W*ndows installation.
    yeah, it can be...

    i like the ability to actually change the K menu buttons... thats fun... I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU DO THAT TO THE START MENU WINDOWS!!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Designer Colors for Your KDE Desktop!

    i like the ability to actually change the K menu buttons... thats fun... I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU DO THAT TO THE START MENU WINDOWS!!!
    Yeah, I've done that. I have the "start button changed to the nuts and bolts. The K sits inside it. I have all icons set to turn stop light green when the cursor is over them.

    I have the Super User file Manager sitting right beside the start button. It sits in the same red-maroon color panel as the insets for the windows.

    My theme is a slightly modified desert red selected from the many themes available. The inset on windows is a red-maroon. The rest of the menu bar is not black but charcoal grey. I have changed a lot of the other colors to fit into the desert red theme.

    Plus lots of little menu eye candy tweaks too numerous to mention.

    The desktop image is a photo I took of Red Rock Canyon in California to complete the desert theme.

    It looks WAY WAY better than anything I've ever done in Windows.

    If you can't make this desktop look terrific, you need to hire an interior decorator!

    sakiZ


    [/quote]

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    55
    I started using Knoppix with version 3.1. Very Cool. Then came Knoppix 3.2 with it's eye wallpaper. Very Cool Indeed. Why can't knoppix make something as cool as version 3.2?

    Look at v 3.2:

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Wow. That desktop is Awesome

    Love that desktop!

    It's easy for me to forget that my setup is a full HD install, not the live CD.

    I'm using KDE 3.3.2 now.

    It was as easy as "apt-get install KDEbase"

    sakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. Firefox is ugly
    By pterandon in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 01:06 AM
  2. Screen looks ugly + partioning
    By lost-member in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 04:40 AM
  3. ugly kdm wallpaper
    By maxIT in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 07:54 AM
  4. Is Knoppix ugly?
    By UnderScore in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 02:02 PM
  5. Huge and ugly fonts in knoppix (hd install)
    By mzruya in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G

$75.00



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New  picture

CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New

$1049.00



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00