Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Incomplete installation of Knoppix 4.0 DVD to HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1

    Incomplete installation of Knoppix 4.0 DVD to HD

    I used 'knoppix-installer' to install Knoppix 4.0 from the DVD to my harddisk, as a Debian type of system. When I booted Knoppix from HD, I noticed that the installation is incomplete . Among others, many man pages, OpenOffice.org and Eclipse were missing. I happened to discover the missing stuff in directory /KNOPPIX2 on the DVD. So, after rebooting from DVD, I copied the contents of that directory (namely folders /usr and /opt) to my HD. Now everything seems to work fine (I haven't tried all options yet).

    Kanotix or Fabian, could you eventually fix this?

    Greetings and thanx for your work!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Practically all of us here are not Knoppix developers or Knoppix beta-testers but are just community volunteers. Your idea to fix the installer sounds good. Some of the developers do visit the forums but you can contact the Knoppix developers at their mailing list at http://sympa.linuxtag.net/wws. You can also add your experience with the Installer bug to the bug list at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/4.0 and maybe you could document your fix.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4
    Same here. Installed 4.0 to hd and was giving it a spin and then discovered that the man pages are totally missing. Even though an apt-get install manpages reports that the latest version is installed.

    Man pages work on the live CD.

    DelphiDude

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5
    Hi,

    I've got the same man-pages problem with knoppix-installer. I solved it by copying the /usr/share/man directory from a knoppix 3.7 installation on my 2nd HDD to my new installed knoppix 4.0.

    Greetings --
    Andreas

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1

    Hdd Install

    I tried with kanotix-installer but the installation stalled during the file copying process.
    With the Knoppix-installer the installation was finished but the directory /opt and the whole OpenOffice was missing.
    I tried to install OpenOffice from the web site with the dedicated installer. The first user installation was o.k. but installing the second user the Xserver was so severely damaged that I was not able to repair it.
    After installing Knoppix 4.0 again the same scenario.
    The start disk produced during the installing process never worked I had to edit the lilo.conf and start lilo manually.
    I think the start disk cannot overcome the 10xx cylinder-problem.
    After the a. m. setbacks I installed again Knoppix 3.8 and all things are fine.

Similar Threads

  1. invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character
    By tgodkin in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 05:43 AM
  2. incomplete install from external dvd 5.1.1
    By kapper in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
  3. Knoppix Installation
    By michel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 05:02 PM
  4. knoppix sources.list repository incomplete list.
    By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
  5. Probleme nach installation!! - Problems after installation!!
    By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99