In order to help you out you need to post more information,
- describe your setup and what you want to accomplish
- post the output of fdisk -l
If you want to resize or alter a ntfs partition, qtparted is not the way to go, from what i understand.
I just installed an additional hd.
Now I would reconfigure the available space to create additional partitions.
For that I have to resize hdb1.
Qtparted refuse to do the job.
How to proceed?
--------------
# cat proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name
3 0 20010816 hda
3 1 5237158 hda1
3 2 1 hda2
3 5 1052226 hda5
3 6 1028128 hda6
3 7 3574431 hda7
3 8 530113 hda8
3 9 8586711 hda9
3 64 117220824 hdb
3 65 116471218 hdb1
3 66 1 hdb2
3 69 746991 hdb5
In order to help you out you need to post more information,
- describe your setup and what you want to accomplish
- post the output of fdisk -l
If you want to resize or alter a ntfs partition, qtparted is not the way to go, from what i understand.
I am not sure ... did you try with Qtparted from Live CD or from hdd? Maybe Live will do this...Qtparted refuse to do the job.
I am not sure ... did you try with Qtparted from Live CD or from hdd? Maybe Live will do this...
----------
I am using Knoppix 3.9 Live
- describe your setup and what you want to accomplish
On hda (20 Gb) I have Windows 98SE and Knoppix.
On hdb (120 Gb) I have Ubuntu.
I would like to resize hdb1to create additional partitions in wich to install a pure Debian distribution.
*********
- post the output of fdisk -l
--------
# fdisk -l
Disque /dev/hda: 20.4 Go, 20491075584 octets
255 têtes, 63 secteurs/piste, 2491 cylindres
Unités = cylindres de 16065 * 512 = 8225280 octets
Périphérique Amorce Début Fin Blocs Id Système
/dev/hda1 * 1 652 5237158+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda2 653 2491 14771767+ f W95 Etendu (LBA)
/dev/hda5 653 783 1052226 b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda6 784 911 1028128+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda7 912 1356 3574431 b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda8 1357 1422 530113+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda9 1423 2491 8586711 83 Linux
Disque /dev/hdb: 120.0 Go, 120034123776 octets
255 têtes, 63 secteurs/piste, 14593 cylindres
Unités = cylindres de 16065 * 512 = 8225280 octets
Périphérique Amorce Début Fin Blocs Id Système
/dev/hdb1 * 1 14500 116471218+ 83 Linux
/dev/hdb2 14501 14593 747022+ f W95 Etendu (LBA)
/dev/hdb5 14501 14593 746991 82 Linux swap / Solaris
My /dev/hdaI booted Knoppix 3.9 & ran qtparted. It did not even allow me to select the resize option.Code:Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/hda1 1 4255 34178255+ 83 Linux /dev/hda2 4256 4741 3903795 b W95 FAT32 /dev/hda3 4742 4865 996030 5 Extended /dev/hda5 4742 4865 995998+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
I then booted the system with Debian 3.1r0a CD #1 (650MB ISO file)with the bootime cheat code:
linux26
I then proceeded through to the partitioner program and selected the hda1 35GB partition. I was able to resize it from 35GB to 28GB & created 7GB of free space. Then I choose to format it with ext3 & use it as a root filesystem. Then I continued the install all the way to the end.
When I logged in as root, I checked fdisk.
So it is possible to resize a hda1 ext3fs filesystem, just not with qtparted but with the Debian installer partitioner. If you want to use the Debian partitioner just like I did, then you can download http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...86-netinst.iso 105MB and not the 650MB ISO file from above.Code:Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/hda1 1 3404 27342598+ 83 Linux /dev/hda2 4256 4741 3903795 b W95 FAT32 /dev/hda3 4742 4865 996030 5 Extended /dev/hda4 3405 4255 6835657+ 83 Linux /dev/hda5 4742 4865 995998+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris Partition table entries are not in disk order
I hope this helps.
James
I don't have knoppix 3.9, but i tried qtparted v 0.4.4 from a live kanotix cd, and the resize option was live for ext2 and fat32, not so for reiserfs or ntfs. I always start qtparted from a root shell, although this version prompts for the root password when started from the knoppix menu.
I've used the debian installer but partitoned the disk first using qtparted from cd. Just be careful you don't inadvertantly overwrite ubuntu partition with the debian install.
Good luck.
Do you have an idea which re-partitioner Debian uses? QTParted supports creating & resizing for NTFS and ReiserFS, but only creating for JFS, ext2/ext3, and XFS.Originally Posted by UnderScore
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco UCS-ML-Y64G4RT-H 64GB DDR4-2933 LRDIMM SN K0RB900093151D7AA3
$1495.00
Cisco UCS-ML-Y64G4RT-H 64GB DDR4-2933 LRDIMM SN K0R8000009151D9D11
$1495.00
New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Cisco C3850-NM-2-40G Cisco Catalyst 3850 2x40GE Network Module- Fast Shipping
$269.00