Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Linksys WPC54G (ver 2)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3

    Linksys WPC54G (ver 2)

    HELP !

    I am new to Knoppix and Linux. Knoppix 4.0 seems to work fine on my laptop but I have absolutely no idea where to find the driver for my wireless NIC or once I find it how to install the driver.

    I am running a home wireless network with a Linksys router.

    Can anyone point me in the wright direction?

    Thanks,

    John

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    According to http://linux-wless.passys.nl , your card has a Broadcom chipset. Broadcom does not support Linux at all. They give out no documentation of their chips & products and this results in no Linux drivers for broadcom wireless devices. This means that we must use a driver wrapper called ndiswrapper. It is a translator driver that makes a network card driver for MS Windows work on Linux.

    Normally the progression of how drivers work looks like:
    Linux kernel -> Linux network driver -> network card

    With Ndiswrapper, it looks like:
    Linux kenerl -> ndiswrapper -> Windows network driver -> network card

    So now you see that it requires not 1 but 2 pieces, the ndiswrapper & the windows driver. Knoppix 3.8.x and will include ndiswrapper so this piece is already done for you. There is no need to download & compile/install it. You can follow the generic ndsiwrapper installation instructions at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...Windows_driver and you can find Network card info listed alphabetically by manufacturer at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...dex.php/List#L

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore

    So now you see that it requires not 1 but 2 pieces, the ndiswrapper & the windows driver. Knoppix 3.8.x and will include ndiswrapper so this piece is already done for you. There is no need to download & compile/install it. You can follow the generic ndsiwrapper installation instructions at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...Windows_driver and you can find Network card info listed alphabetically by manufacturer at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...dex.php/List#L
    I am brand-new to Knoppix. I just got my DVD this morning and find that neither my monitor nor my wireless card (the one described in this thread) are recognized.

    If I need to download patches, where do I store them if I run Linux off of a DVD?

    My monitor is recognized as a generic VGA and is a 640 X 480 patch in the middle of an otherwise black screen. I can get it to run in full screen.

    I'm a little frustrated, as I have to learn how to fix things by booting back into Windows, then looking for the problem online, then re-booting off of the DVD, seeing if what I found online works.

Similar Threads

  1. Linksys WPC54G ver.4
    By thatsflash in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
  2. WPC54G Cant Get it Working
    By KnightWhoSaysNi in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 08:30 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-29-2005, 04:53 AM
  4. WPC54G Linksys wireless-g notebook adapter
    By sniper in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2004, 06:02 AM
  5. WPC54G not working...
    By Laptop765 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-13-2004, 03:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$128.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$199.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00