-
Linksys WPC54G (ver 2)
HELP !
I am new to Knoppix and Linux. Knoppix 4.0 seems to work fine on my laptop but I have absolutely no idea where to find the driver for my wireless NIC or once I find it how to install the driver.
I am running a home wireless network with a Linksys router.
Can anyone point me in the wright direction?
Thanks,
John
-
Senior Member
registered user
According to http://linux-wless.passys.nl , your card has a Broadcom chipset. Broadcom does not support Linux at all. They give out no documentation of their chips & products and this results in no Linux drivers for broadcom wireless devices. This means that we must use a driver wrapper called ndiswrapper. It is a translator driver that makes a network card driver for MS Windows work on Linux.
Normally the progression of how drivers work looks like:
Linux kernel -> Linux network driver -> network card
With Ndiswrapper, it looks like:
Linux kenerl -> ndiswrapper -> Windows network driver -> network card
So now you see that it requires not 1 but 2 pieces, the ndiswrapper & the windows driver. Knoppix 3.8.x and will include ndiswrapper so this piece is already done for you. There is no need to download & compile/install it. You can follow the generic ndsiwrapper installation instructions at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...Windows_driver and you can find Network card info listed alphabetically by manufacturer at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...dex.php/List#L
-

Originally Posted by
UnderScore
I am brand-new to Knoppix. I just got my DVD this morning and find that neither my monitor nor my wireless card (the one described in this thread) are recognized.
If I need to download patches, where do I store them if I run Linux off of a DVD?
My monitor is recognized as a generic VGA and is a 640 X 480 patch in the middle of an otherwise black screen. I can get it to run in full screen.
I'm a little frustrated, as I have to learn how to fix things by booting back into Windows, then looking for the problem online, then re-booting off of the DVD, seeing if what I found online works.
Similar Threads
-
By thatsflash in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
-
By KnightWhoSaysNi in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-16-2006, 08:30 PM
-
By grtflber in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-29-2005, 04:53 AM
-
By sniper in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-28-2004, 06:02 AM
-
By Laptop765 in forum Laptops
Replies: 11
Last Post: 11-13-2004, 03:03 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&
$69.90

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00