Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: A smaller knoppix

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74

    A smaller knoppix

    I enjoy using knoppix it is so easy to start with and powerful enough, it has become my favourite distro since I switched from M$, but I wonder why knoppix keep expanding itself so much that no longer fit into a single CD, and there are duplicated tools of the same kind, I've to manually remove them to reduce space in order to use in an old and underpowered PC. I also like DSL it's lighting fast and eat less system resources, I used to keep a liveCD in my wallet, I wished it has some more powerful apps but then it will not fit in a 50M disc, I think 200M is about right and still fit in the wallet.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You could take http://featherlinux.berlios.de/ and remaster it to add apps. Not very difficult with the howto on the site.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    Yes I tried that, but the ISO can not boot, is it because my CD drive is USB, or could you give me the correct link to the ISO.

    Thanks a lot !

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You mean you tried feather or tried remastering it? Which one doesn't boot?
    I haven't got a usb cd drive so I know next to nothing of booting from one. A sticky in the feather forum: http://featherlinux.berlios.de/phpBB...ace81c4df6d2e5 suggests replacing the miniroot. It's meant for a usb stick, but you could try editing the iso, or try the boot floppy mentioned there.
    I take it that knoppix and dsl boots from your usb cd?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    double post

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    Yes, I can only boot from USB, maybe my download is corrupted.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hmm, did you check the md5sum?
    Easier to get a clean download with bittorrent. There's a torrent link under "Download" on the feather page.

Similar Threads

  1. A smaller Knoppix distro
    By gummimann in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 06:19 PM
  2. smaller and a little bit faster knoppix 3.7 (experimental)
    By ijuz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 05:02 AM
  3. Make it smaller
    By WolfCub in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 10:47 AM
  4. HDD Smaller than 2.2 GB
    By umbra in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 07:20 PM
  5. smaller Knoppix install?
    By in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-19-2002, 07:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39



Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON picture

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON

$149.99