Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Editing dhcpd.conf to enable apt-get access

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7

    Editing dhcpd.conf to enable apt-get access

    I need to edit the dhcpd.conf file to set up my ISP dns server in order to get resolv.conf to accept it otherwise resolv.conf gets overwritten on every boot-up by DHCP. (I can't use a static IP address as my router is supplied ready-cinfigured by my Wife's company and can't be accessd. They also supply AND pay for my Broadband access! <VBG>)
    I did this successfully in Ubuntu which is also a Debian-based distro, but the config file there was totally different!
    What lines in dhcpd.conf do I have to change?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I think you might be looking in the wrong file. dhcpd.conf is used to configure the dhcp service. The only time you need to edit that file is when you want to start a DHCP server for your LAN. Perhaps you need to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    I think you might be looking in the wrong file. dhcpd.conf is used to configure the dhcp service. The only time you need to edit that file is when you want to start a DHCP server for your LAN. Perhaps you need to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file.
    No it's not that - I need to be able to add my ISP dns to resolv.conf - if I do that manually, it is overwritten on each startup by the DHCP server on the router.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    OK. Are you running Knoppix from the CD or has it been installed to the HD? If it has been installed to the HD, then what type of HD install did you use?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    OK. Are you running Knoppix from the CD or has it been installed to the HD? If it has been installed to the HD, then what type of HD install did you use?
    HDD install - I /think/ I did the Debian install but it might have been the beginner as I wanted multiple uers. Sorry I can't remember more clearly!

Similar Threads

  1. how to enable remote access using ssh
    By bbrother in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 11:09 PM
  2. editing smb.conf
    By Legithrandil in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
  3. dhcpd.conf in another location?
    By activeco in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 05:16 PM
  4. editing /KNOPPIX/etc/samba/samba.conf as root ?!?!
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
  5. How to get enable read/write access (Hd Based)
    By buxus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 05:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate 3.5

Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



SEAGATE EXOS 4TB 7.2K 12Gb/s 3.5

SEAGATE EXOS 4TB 7.2K 12Gb/s 3.5" 128MB Cach SAS ST4000NM0125 HDD hard drive

$59.99