-
Success getting USB ADSL modem working
Ok, I succeeded in getting Knoppix Live CD to see and use my D-Link DSL-200B1 USB modem, and I'm pretty happy with the results.
I'll go through all the steps I took to achieve this so anyone else trying to get this working has a head start as well.
First you will need to grab the EciAdsl USB drivers, freely available at http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/index.php?lang=en . Of course, check on the site to make sure your modem is supported. If it's not supported, don't even bother trying this, as the drivers will not work at all (for my DSL-200, I had to grab the eciadsl-usermode-0.10-nortek-alpha.tar.bz2 archive. Grab the extra .bin package as well while you're there (I needed them) – http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/download...g=en&view=sync
The file you want is eciadsl-synch_bin.tar.bz2
Ok, with both files saved to a directory on my HD, boot the live CD, then open a root console. Extract the driver file, then compile it as root (ie, “./configure”, then “make install”. Extract the .bin archive to the /etc/eciadsl directory as well at this point.
Type “make cfg” to run the config utility. Here you specify your ISP/DNS (TPG Aus for me), login details, modem type (DSL-200B1 for me), PPP mode (default VCM_RFC2363 worked for me), DHCP and static IP if applicable (not for me).
I also changed my .bin package to number 4, which was needed to achieve sync with the modem. Try each one until you find one that succeeds, if you can't sync initially.
Type (as root) “eciadsl-start”, and the modem should sync, then connect to your ISP automatically. That's all there is to it!
I had to play about a bit to get it working initially (hence the need for a different .bin), but now it's working fine (apart from the pain of having to reinstall the driver and re-enter the setup each time I reboot for now). I've already repeated this process several times now with success every time, and am typing this running Knoppix now.
I hope this helps any others having trouble with their USB modems.
Similar Threads
-
By The Black Death in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-19-2004, 07:05 PM
-
By EPS in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 12
Last Post: 05-03-2004, 07:13 PM
-
By Dr Snark in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-06-2004, 02:46 AM
-
By kaerthi in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 08:33 PM
-
By gangie in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-12-2003, 02:06 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00