-
Junior Member
registered user
Dual Boot, Differences from Debian
Hello All,
I just picked up the latest Knoppix CD (4/9/03, I believe) and have been running it for a couple of days now. I've got everything but printing working, and that's only because there doesn't appear to be a driver for my (very new) Canon MultiPass C755 printer yet. Considering that I couldn't get most of my on-board peripherals to work under Win98, but I can with Knoppix, I'm very much ready to make the switch.
However, I need to preserve Win98 for a few reasons: OpenOffice isn't quite there yet, and Wine off of the CD basically freezes whenever I try to run a Win app that's more complex than Notepad; games; and for my wife's occasional use. Thus, I'd really like to dual-boot.
I've been roaming around through this board, looking at info on how to properly configure Grub to do this, and have seen much conflicting information (particularly as to whether the hdd-install program will let me set up/configure Grub from within it). Since I know things are changing very quickly with this distro, it'd be good to get current info on what my best bets there are. In return, I'll be happy to write up a detailed dual-boot HOWTO (I've done a fair amount of technical writing in the past) to help others like myself and to save you all some time.
Meanwhile, I've also seen a lot on how Knoppix "becomes Debian" once I've done a HDD install. I wanted to know -- is it actually Debian enough that I could, say, use any of the standard Debian features (.debs, etc.), or perhaps even follow the Debian upgrade path? Or is it just different enough that I'd be forced to stay with Knoppix forever (assuming that it sticks around)? I'm just concerned because I've seen enough smaller Linux distros die, and I don't want to be stuck with one that disappears.
Thanks very much in advance for your help on this.
Alex Kirk
Similar Threads
-
By Kayen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 03-29-2005, 12:42 PM
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
-
By ishtvan22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-25-2004, 04:11 AM
-
By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By WolfCub in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p
$99.99

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB
$54.99

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99