Now that I have the Knoppix window up...Where do I go to find all the files, pics, and programs to remove and copy from my crashed XP OS.
thanks,
Mark
Now that I have the Knoppix window up...Where do I go to find all the files, pics, and programs to remove and copy from my crashed XP OS.
thanks,
Mark
There should be icons on the desktop for each XP partition (marked hda1, for example). You don't remove anything from an XP partition though, never try to write to an NTFS partition. You can copy stuff just fine though, as long as you have some place to copy it to.Originally Posted by BamBamKnoppix
The icon I have on the Desktop is "Hard Disc Partition"..When i click on it it gives me lots of options but no access to files....It has one Pagefile.sys icon opon opening but nothing else...Then a list of aplications to left....Am I ina demo mode or something....I know I'm so close to getting to my goal, but this is so frustration to a novice like me....The files i need are very important to a graduate school project I'm doing....Hope you can walk me through this..
Thanks Again,.
Mark
The first partition on my HD is a Windows XP NTFS partition.
This is the mouse hovering over the first hard drive icon.
This is when the icon is clicked.
If all you are seeing is pagefile.sys, then you may have suffered a major hard drive failure and it is not easy to recover from a failure of that magnitude.
You should browse to the location of your files. They are usually stored in Dosuments and Settings then the username and then My Documents.
I browsed to /mnt/hda1/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents
If you are unable to find your Documents or any of your files, then it is time to either seek a third party for assistance. There are programs you can buy to help you recover data from a dying hard drive. See google search for ntfs data recovery. If your files are really really important and you are willing to put down hundreds if not more than a $1000 to get the data back, then seek a data recovery service. They are expensive but thorough.
There are also some free programs that may help recover files, both Windows based programs and Linux Live CD programs. You might want to look at the Live Linux CD called Helix to see if it can help.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00
Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book
$37.49
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99