I was wondering if it would be a good Idea to have a list of hardware likely to work "out of the box" with Knoppix. And maybe another list of hardware known not to work with Knoppix. Maybe they could be ranked or voted on after being submitted.
For example what wireless lan cards work without any tinkering? What is the best graphics card available that will run 3d apps?( Matrox?)
What sound cards work? ( Seal mo#SSC-410 was less than $10 new at a large retailer it worked great on my machine)
I know that different machines will support different hardware but there must be some hardware in each category that works nearly every time.
Thanks for the great links underscore but I was thinking of a list more specific to Knoppix. That way if someone (me) is putting together a new machine we(I) could have a list of the hardware that is most likely to succeed.
If you want to create a wiki page, please don't let me stop you. Please go ahead. I feel that since Knoppix uses the Linux kernel and XFree86 just like every other distro out there that it would lead to duplication of effort. As for myself, I would rather we not duplicate those sites efforts since LinuxQuestions in particular has a dedicated staff that tends to both their huge forums, wiki, and the Hardware Compatability List. If you haven't already, check out the huge number of forums http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php and http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...p?s=&forumid=5
When I need to figure out if a piece of HW is supported by first searching google, then linuxquestions, then if necessary I go to the kernel source code http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20046
If we should do anything, we should direct people to contribute to HW info to sites like LQ HCL or the leenooks.com.

Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig
$775.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00
Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch
$69.99
CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188
$24.94
Cisco ASR 901 Series A901-12C-FT-D Aggregation Services Router 800-40055-01
$122.40
Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50