I was wondering if it would be a good Idea to have a list of hardware likely to work "out of the box" with Knoppix. And maybe another list of hardware known not to work with Knoppix. Maybe they could be ranked or voted on after being submitted.
For example what wireless lan cards work without any tinkering? What is the best graphics card available that will run 3d apps?( Matrox?)
What sound cards work? ( Seal mo#SSC-410 was less than $10 new at a large retailer it worked great on my machine)
I know that different machines will support different hardware but there must be some hardware in each category that works nearly every time.
Thanks for the great links underscore but I was thinking of a list more specific to Knoppix. That way if someone (me) is putting together a new machine we(I) could have a list of the hardware that is most likely to succeed.
If you want to create a wiki page, please don't let me stop you. Please go ahead. I feel that since Knoppix uses the Linux kernel and XFree86 just like every other distro out there that it would lead to duplication of effort. As for myself, I would rather we not duplicate those sites efforts since LinuxQuestions in particular has a dedicated staff that tends to both their huge forums, wiki, and the Hardware Compatability List. If you haven't already, check out the huge number of forums http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php and http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...p?s=&forumid=5
When I need to figure out if a piece of HW is supported by first searching google, then linuxquestions, then if necessary I go to the kernel source code http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20046
If we should do anything, we should direct people to contribute to HW info to sites like LQ HCL or the leenooks.com.

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...
$749.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...
$379.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.3" 2k Touchscreen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 170 2025 - ...
$599.99
LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 512GB SSD WCAM WI1 CORD
$250.00
Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14" i5 8365U 16GB NEW 256gb SSD WIN 11 pro CAM WIFI
$249.99
Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI
$144.00