Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix 3.8.2: remastered ISO larger than original

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Knoppix 3.8.2: remastered ISO larger than original

    I did a trivial remaster of Knoppix 3.8.2. However, the resulting ISO is 756 MB, which is ~30 MB larger than the 727 MB of the downloaded Knoppix ISO. Anyone have any suggestions why this might be? Am I missing an option to the mkisofs? Can anyone else reproduce my results?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix 3.8.2: remastered ISO larger than original

    Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    .... the resulting ISO is 756 MB, which is ~30 MB larger than the 727 MB of the downloaded Knoppix ISO.....
    You clearly have a size problem and I do not know the cause or cure of it.

    You also have a terminology problem and it may be helpful to correct that before you go further. The 3.8.2 iso is not 727 megs in size. It is, in fact, less than 700 megs in size (sorry, I don't still have that iso on my system or I would give you a more exact size). I believe you, like many people, are confusing bytes, K bytes and megs. 1 meg bytes is not 1,000,000 bytes, it is 1024x1024 bytes (1,048,576 bytes). You should find that the original 3.8.2 ISO is between 693 and 695 megs in size (which helps explain how it fits on a 700 meg CDR or CDRW).

    None of this, of course, solves the problem of why your new iso is larger or how to correct that. But getting the terms correct will better help you communicate the problem, and that may help you reach a correct answer sooner.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: Knoppix 3.8.2: remastered ISO larger than original

    Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    I did a trivial remaster of Knoppix 3.8.2. However, the resulting ISO is 756 MB
    I think that your porblem is 'trivial remaster' itself in wiki page.

    Try to remaster with HOWTO: Remaster the easy way using menu based scripts. It is not perfect but works quite well anyhow. Scripts used in this howto makes cleaning up of remastered system (removes temp files and zeroes cache files) to spare disk space.

    -tapsa-

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Knoppix 3.8.2: remastered ISO larger than original

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    The 3.8.2 iso is not 727 megs in size. It is, in fact, less than 700 megs in size (sorry, I don't still have that iso on my system or I would give you a more exact size). I believe you, like many people, are confusing bytes, K bytes and megs. 1 meg bytes is not 1,000,000 bytes, it is 1024x1024 bytes (1,048,576 bytes). You should find that the original 3.8.2 ISO is between 693 and 695 megs in size (which helps explain how it fits on a 700 meg CDR or CDRW).
    Fair enough. The original 3.8.2 iso is 727289856 bytes or 693.59765625 MB. My remastered ISO is 756043776 bytes or 721.01953125 MB, which is 28753920 bytes or 27.421875 MB larger and therefore won't fit on a CD-ROM.

    The only thing my remasting script does is copy the files from the CD to two folders and then rebuilds the compressed filesystem and the ISO. Nothing added. Nothing removed.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Knoppix 3.8.2: remastered ISO larger than original

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    I think that your porblem is 'trivial remaster' itself in wiki page.
    How's that? That is, where is the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    Try to remaster with HOWTO: Remaster the easy way using menu based scripts. It is not perfect but works quite well anyhow. Scripts used in this howto makes cleaning up of remastered system (removes temp files and zeroes cache files) to spare disk space.
    I ran the knoppix-remaster script that the HowTo references using the same setup that I used in the trivial remaster (i.e. same swapfile and same target, /mnt/hda3/knx) and did the following:

    1) clicked "yes" for "Do you want to create a new remaster?"
    2) chose /mnt/hda3/knx for "New remaster directory"
    3) chose "2 - Create compressed fs"
    4) chose "3 - Create isofs"
    5) chose "6 - Quit"

    The resulting ISO was 744538112 bytes or 710.046875 MB, which is still 17248256 bytes or 16.44921875 MB larger than the original ISO.

    BTW, I am visualizing the compressed filesystem as a bunch of files in a container which is compressed. If I uncompress the container, I get the files. If I take the files out of the container, put them in a new container, and compress the new container, then I get a new compressed container that should be identical to the original container.

    Is that an accurate model of the compressed filesystem?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Knoppix 3.8.2: remastered ISO larger than original

    Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    BTW, I am visualizing the compressed filesystem as a bunch of files in a container which is compressed. If I uncompress the container, I get the files. If I take the files out of the container, put them in a new container, and compress the new container, then I get a new compressed container that should be identical to the original container.
    Apparently, there are hard links on the compressed ISO:
    Code:
    find /KNOPPIX/etc -type f -links +1 | xargs ls -ladi
    That means a single file with two names on the original ISO becomes two files when copied.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: Knoppix 3.8.2: remastered ISO larger than original

    [quote="rwcitek"]
    Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    BTW, I am visualizing the compressed filesystem as a bunch of files in a container which is compressed. If I uncompress the container, I get the files. If I take the files out of the container, put them in a new container, and compress the new container, then I get a new compressed container that should be identical to the original container.
    I think this is right.

    But of your remastering. Have you copied your home directory to /etc/skel and removed it after that? If you have BOTH /etc/skel and /home /knoppix remaining it takes much space. I think that Knoppix.clean script don't empty existing home directory but I might be wrong. Could this be the reason for your too big CD?


    -tapsa-

Similar Threads

  1. Can't make a larger home (knoppix.img)?
    By maestrobwh1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 07:41 PM
  2. 708 >> 698 of the original Knoppix iso
    By tsfu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 03:03 AM
  3. How can I create a KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file larger than 2 gigs?
    By nvgringo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 07:12 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 11:59 PM
  5. Testing a remaster with just original knoppix
    By bfree in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2003, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM picture

M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM

$550.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B picture

Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B

$299.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98