Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: write to flash after booting

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2

    write to flash after booting

    I am currently booting a knoppix variant from a 512 mb flash without any problems. This is for a kiosk system that will be running in multiple venues across the country. I have a need to update some of the software over the network. I have noticed that /cdrom contains the files I need to replace, but it is mounted read-only. Since this is actually a flash device, I would like to get it mounted read/write so I can periodically update things.

    Is there a place in the boot process where the cdrom ( flash in my case ) is mounted read-only that I can change to read/write?

    I won't be writing to it very often, but doing it over the network will save having to ship out new compact flash devices......

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is a little more detail:

    I am running Morphix, and want to replace the main module. Or add a mini module, or files to the copy directory.

    If anybody had some ideas on how to accomplish this, I would appreciate it.

    KP

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2

    Solved....

    Solved my own issue.

    In miniroot.gz there is a file called linuxrc. In that file you can change the mount options from read-only (ro) to read-write (rw).

    I was then able to put files into the /cdrom directory, and they would stay, as long as I made sure and did a 'sync' before I shut down the system.

Similar Threads

  1. Suddenly can't write to USB flash drive
    By GottaBuild in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2006, 10:42 PM
  2. Unable to write to flash drive
    By kpfuser in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2005, 03:31 PM
  3. Booting from USB flash: working with knoppix26 for anyone?
    By professordes in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 10:50 PM
  4. Booting from PCMCIA Flash Card
    By averylowiq in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 10:14 PM
  5. Booting Knoppix from a USB Flash drive
    By KnoppIXuser in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 01:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO) picture

DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO)

$200.00



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$299.99



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$74.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$145.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) TK-50 Tape Drive picture

Vintage DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) TK-50 Tape Drive

$80.00



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital M8933 module tape control TM03 common mode (B1) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8933 module tape control TM03 common mode (B1)

$129.99