-
Probably a newbie question - searched & didn't find a ma
I have a laptop that uses an external, PCMCIA CD drive - the internal one busted a while back and doesn't read any data.
I'd like to make this machine a dual-boot 2K and Knoppix auditor machine, but BIOS boot menu doesn't support PCMCIA devices.
The laptop won't boot off of the CD at all, which is easy to get around with Windows boot disks (installed easily), but I've not found, nor do I know Linux well enough (hence my plea for HELP!)
at making a Linux/Knoppix boot disk and getting it installed on my hard drives other partition.
I've installed the XOSL boot manager, which should do me fine once I get knoppix installed. It also doesn't support external PCMCIA bootups, otherwise I'd be all set right now.
I'm looking for info on how to make knoppix install/bootable floppy or floppies to get it on a hard drive. Heck, I've even considered installing it on another PC and ghosting the linux and swap partitions into my laptop to just get it done.
So please, have pity on a long-time Windows network admin who's learning Linux currently.
Thanks!
Rich
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can you boot your laptop over the network using PXE? If so, run Knoppix on another computer in your LAN, start the terminal server script, connect the laptop to the LAN and power it on. Maybe you'll have to use some cheat codes to get it to boot correctly.
If you're going for a hd install, Kanotix is the right choice. Kanotix is a Knoppix derivative designed for hd install.
-

Originally Posted by
ockham23
Can you boot your laptop over the network using PXE? If so, run Knoppix on another computer in your LAN, start the terminal server script, connect the laptop to the LAN and power it on. Maybe you'll have to use some cheat codes to get it to boot correctly.
Thanks for the quick reply!
I'll give that a shot, but will have to look up how to start the term service script on knoppix.
Ideally, a bootable CD would be fabulous for this laptop, but I still didn't get a straight answer to my question; is there a bootable floppy that will walk thru the first part of the install and recognize external hardware enough to finish the install from CD?
Rich
-
Senior Member
registered user
The script is easy to find: Knoppix (penguin) --> server services --> terminal server. Give it a try, it's really simple.
I am not an expert on boot floppies but I understand that the boot image is too large to fit on a floppy disk. There are several other ways to boot Knoppix (e.g., from a USB storage device). More information on that in the Wiki; there is also a section on "poor man's install" (PMI), which includes running Knopppix from an ISO file on your hard disk.
Good luck!
-
Similar Threads
-
By mute1 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
-
By ozone in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-11-2004, 03:15 PM
-
By Keira in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-02-2004, 10:25 AM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By adyga in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 06-25-2003, 02:16 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$140.00

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4
$154.76

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08