good idea, most should be possible w/o remastering by simply changing the configs, but:
why the extra external adsl router? Knoppix can do that as well
How about a superserver.
I have tried over many nights to create this monstrosity, but so far not much luck.
A 3 interface box with an ethernet ADSL router, Wireless access point, and my home network.
Use knoppix Terminal server for internal net-boot clients (just dhcp for windows), and Samba server.
use dyndns and ddclient to tell me where it is when away from home.
frees/wan for WiFi access when at home on my notebook.
bind resolving my internal ip's and forwarding to the proxy on my adsl router.
tranparent squidcache to service redirects from iptables. (fwbuilder?)
getmail, gotmail, and yosucker to get my mail.
mrtg to keep my ISP honest. (Have an issue with them at the moment, They have been metering at least 25% more than what my router shows)
imp to serve my mail via apache https when away from home.
from internet terminate ssh, https, ipsec-vpn (with nat traversal)
So far have only ddclient, and getmail working. Now stuck on imp.
good idea, most should be possible w/o remastering by simply changing the configs, but:
why the extra external adsl router? Knoppix can do that as well
Any method would be good.
I just happen to have an external router.
Perhaps even supporting diald? This may limit external access though?
and not to forget webmin
Haven't had much success with webmin.
Installed it on two separate HPUX boxes. And played with it for a few minutes on each. But got very difficult once I tried to do anything serious with it.
Ended up using vi![]()
For my experience, I use knoppix as a workstation, and e-smith for my home server.
I also use e-smith for the server, but having all of the above done with Knoppix would also be fine. As for webmin, I was able to install it on my home directory (which resides on HD) without any problems.
e-smith looks interesting. Does it run from cd?
No it needs a hd, I think the current versions will need about a 1GB hd, it is hardcoded for a 256MB swap and needs about 300-400mb for the OS.e-smith looks interesting. Does it run from cd?
I've still been using earlier versions because I can get them to run on older hardware with a 500mb hd.
E-smith is a full featured gateway/server package, for internet sharing and file and print sharing, it is very easy to set up, but kind of slow as far as the web interface goes.
rock
Thanks.
I'll think I'll stick with trying to get this stuff to go on knoppix just for the moment.
Have got imp going finally![]()

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$899.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00