Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: need help with Thinkpad 240x

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2

    need help with Thinkpad 240x

    Thinkpad 240x. It has a CD drive, but it is external and connects to the computer via a PCMCIA card. It is a Toshiba XM-1902B. It is not listed as a boot device in the BIOS.

    I made a boot disk using boot.img provided in the KNOPPIX difectory. My Thinkpad 240x thankfully boots up the floppy without problems, however when it fails to detect the CDROM drive and gives me this message:

    Code:
    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit.
    My next thought is to copy the entire *.iso onto one of my ext2 partitions and then mount the *.iso through loopback ie.

    Code:
    knoppix# mount -o loop /mnt/win/KNOPPIX.iso /mnt/kpx
    or
    Code:
    knoppix# mount -t iso9660 /mnt/win/KNOPPIX.iso /mnt/kpx
    Does anyone think this will work? how can I `boot` to KNOPPIX after I get the *.iso mounted? I am using KNOPPIX version 3.2 from 4-15-2003

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Try the HD Based How-To it has the information you require.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I'm wondering if this would work http://btmgr.gnuchina.org/

    I've been told that it will allow Knoppix to work on boxes that won't normallly boot from a CD.

    I don't know how it will work with regard to your PCMCIA setup.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2

    btmgr doesn't work

    I have tried btmgr, and it doesn't work it doesn't detect PCMCIA driver properly!

    On a happier note I followed the previous port instructions on howto install from a hard drive! worked like a charm, hopefully now I can get gentoo up and running!

    --Anuj

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    What I did was copy the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file off the burned CD to hda1 and then used the boot-en.img rawritten floppy. This boot floppy will look for the huge KNOPPIX file on all your partitions.

    Good Luck,

Similar Threads

  1. ThinkPad R50 Wireless
    By JapanLover in forum Laptops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 01:11 AM
  2. Thinkpad A30 Wireless
    By qbus in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 05:29 PM
  3. thinkpad sound
    By dougvega in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 09:17 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 09:34 AM
  5. APM on ThinkPad A31
    By niki2002 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 01:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



Cisco 6500 WS-X6148A-GE-45AF 48-Port 10/100/1000 RJ-45 802.3af PoE Card Module. picture

Cisco 6500 WS-X6148A-GE-45AF 48-Port 10/100/1000 RJ-45 802.3af PoE Card Module.

$80.00