Try the HD Based How-To it has the information you require.
Thinkpad 240x. It has a CD drive, but it is external and connects to the computer via a PCMCIA card. It is a Toshiba XM-1902B. It is not listed as a boot device in the BIOS.
I made a boot disk using boot.img provided in the KNOPPIX difectory. My Thinkpad 240x thankfully boots up the floppy without problems, however when it fails to detect the CDROM drive and gives me this message:
My next thought is to copy the entire *.iso onto one of my ext2 partitions and then mount the *.iso through loopback ie.Code:Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Press reset button to quit.
orCode:knoppix# mount -o loop /mnt/win/KNOPPIX.iso /mnt/kpx
Does anyone think this will work? how can I `boot` to KNOPPIX after I get the *.iso mounted? I am using KNOPPIX version 3.2 from 4-15-2003Code:knoppix# mount -t iso9660 /mnt/win/KNOPPIX.iso /mnt/kpx
Try the HD Based How-To it has the information you require.
I'm wondering if this would work http://btmgr.gnuchina.org/
I've been told that it will allow Knoppix to work on boxes that won't normallly boot from a CD.
I don't know how it will work with regard to your PCMCIA setup.
I have tried btmgr, and it doesn't workit doesn't detect PCMCIA driver properly!
On a happier note I followed the previous port instructions on howto install from a hard drive! worked like a charm, hopefully now I can get gentoo up and running!
--Anuj
What I did was copy the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file off the burned CD to hda1 and then used the boot-en.img rawritten floppy. This boot floppy will look for the huge KNOPPIX file on all your partitions.
Good Luck,

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99
Dell GP6RN Perc H740P 8GB Mini Mono 12G Raid Controller with battrry
$68.88
BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99
HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)
$359.00