Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I turn on my wireless card?

  1. #1

    How do I turn on my wireless card?

    I know, the answer is simple right just push the button. I thought of that but no it doesn't work. I have a HP dv1010us notebook with intergrated wireless b/g with Broadcom chipset(in windows my driver is bcmwl5). I am currenlty booting Knoppix from the cd cause I'm not sure if I am ready to make the commitment. So I guess my question is first can I even get the wireless card to work while booting from cd drive. Second when I run my standard OS my wireless card is not automatically turned on and if I left it on during my last session it will turn back on when I reboot or restart(although not until the login screen) SO my thinking is the card has to be on before it can do anything, so again I pose the question how do I turn it on. I have loaded the driver with ndiswrapper (the same driver used in my other OS settings)and I have done the modprobe but to no avail it still says that no network card is found(i can use my wired connection no problem). So how do I power up this card, I knowof no other shortcut to turn the wireless card on other than pressing the wireless button. I have tried continously pressing the button during startup but that was a no go(what can I say I found a penny heads up, so thought I was in for some luck)

    I have been on the problem for 2 days now, and even though I am frustrated as heck I find myself turning this thing on an trying to figure it out. I like linux, I found somethings aren't as hard as I thought they would be. I also find some simple things to be quite tedious(did i spell that right). I am stil very new at this but I am willing to work at it, it hasn't completly disgusted me yet. So if you don't want to hand hold, then I would be thankful just for a point in the right direction.



    Here's hoping I get an anwser and didn't come off as an idiot
    cerealkiller

  2. #2

    Thanks

    Thanks for the help. I fixed my problem.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37
    Please tell us how you fixed the problem

Similar Threads

  1. How to turn my WLAN card on???
    By ajay16 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2007, 06:54 PM
  2. wireless card recognised as ethernet card.
    By Matthew87 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 02:29 AM
  3. What wireless Card
    By notoriouslou1022 in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 04:35 PM
  4. No Wireless Extensions/No wireless card found?
    By sparticus in forum Laptops
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
  5. Wireless card help
    By PhR057Y in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 03:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99