-
Blank screen problem
Hello!
This is my first try to use any Linux, and I decided to try Knoppix because booting from CD seems simple.
Ok, to the point: I put the CD in the drive, start the computer etc, and it boots there, I hit "Return" and it starts loading Linux..then I get to the loading/detecting Hardware etc. screen, it all goes fine untill it's going to the next Screen -> screen goes blank (Black) and nothing happens...
I tried the tips&tricks, but none of them helped...
Some info about my PC: 400MHz pentium 2, Nvidia Geforce 2 GFX card and some kind of ram etc.
I got no HDD in it, so thats maybe a problem, is it?
Any help would be nice!
Thanks in advance,
K-Zodron
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Blank screen problem

Originally Posted by
K-Zodron
I got no HDD in it, so thats maybe a problem, is it?
nope, that's not a problem.
-
Re: Blank screen problem

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
K-Zodron
I got no HDD in it, so thats maybe a problem, is it?
nope, that's not a problem.
Ok, good.
First I burned with 10x, I'll try 4x instead
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Blank screen problem

Originally Posted by
K-Zodron
Ok, good.
First I burned with 10x, I'll try 4x instead

I doubt that 10x is a problem, but you never know, and of course you can always get a bad burn occasionally even at slow speeds. I assume that your reference to tips and tricks is the tips and tricks section of the cheat codes and not the tips and tricks forum, but if not read through all of the cheat codes wiki. It would't hurt to run the testcd option (again I don't expect it will find anything but it will not hurt). Your Nvidia card is a very common card and certainly should be recognized by Knoppix.
I'm also assuming that you downloaded by bittorrent or checked the md5 sum, but mostly because I can't be bothered to help people who don't.
You might want to try stepping through the boot process in expert mode and see if you can learn anything. My best guess is that you might have some other hardware that is causing a strange conflict, but that's certainly just a guess.
-
I downloaded by HTTP, and didn't really check the MD5 sum, maybe I should try dl:ing by BitTorrenta 'n check the MD5 thingy =p
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
K-Zodron
I downloaded by HTTP, and didn't really check the MD5 sum, maybe I should......
If you still have the iso, it is foolish and wasteful to download everything again by bittorrent (unless the md5 check turns out a bad download). You can download the md5 file from the same mirror that you got the iso from (or from any of the mirrors). I'm assuming that you do still have the iso since you were going to burn another CD. See the downloading faq for details.
Your use of the adverb really above is interesting.
Similar Threads
-
By theagemaway in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-04-2006, 09:07 PM
-
By nuB71705 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-18-2005, 06:20 AM
-
By Guardian in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-06-2004, 09:18 AM
-
By Fish in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 10:37 PM
-
By slime101 in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-26-2003, 01:33 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Intel DX4 100MHz 486 Motherboard SBC CPU Board ALi Chipset Retro PC
$119.99

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo
$299.00

Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard
$249.95

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition
$199.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage 3.5” Floppy Disk Storage Cases With Key 127 Rainbow Colored Disks
$59.99

VINTAGE VIDEO GAME INTELLIVISION CONSOLE PLUS 17 INTELLIVISION GAMES WORKING
$185.00

Vintage ~ Apple Laserwriter II SC (SCSI) Controller I/O BOARD
$37.00

Vintage KanguruDisk Portable External Drive Module with Pouch - Rare Retro Drive
$114.88

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19