Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Keyboard remapping for entering commands in boot prompt

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Keyboard remapping for entering commands in boot prompt

    I can't figure out how this works.

    I have made finnish keymap
    Code:
    keytab-lilo fi-latin1 > fi.kbd
    and tried to use it and / or replace original german.kbd in /boot/isolinux directory with this. Anyhow I can't find e.g. characters = and / where they should be in finnish keyboard. So my fi.kbd (or renamed fi.kbd to german.kbd) don't work.

    Of course, I have added lang=fi in APPEND line in /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg and modified /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig:

    Code:
    ### localization
    # Allow language specification via commandline. The default language
    # will be overridden via "lang=de" boot commandline
    LANGUAGE="$(getbootparam lang 2>/dev/null)"
    [ -n "$LANGUAGE" ] || LANGUAGE="fi"
    
    # The default language/keyboard to use. This CANNOT be autoprobed.
    # Most of these variables will be used to generate the KDE defaults
    # and will be inserted into /etc/sysconfig/* below.
    case "$LANGUAGE" in
    fi)
    # Finnish version
    LANGUAGE="fi"  # ISO 639
    COUNTRY="fi"
    LANG="fi_FI@euro"
    KEYTABLE="fi-latin1"
    XKEYBOARD="fi"
    KDEKEYBOARD="fi"
    CHARSET="iso8859-15"
    KDEKEYBOARDS="se,en_US" # Additional KDE Keyboards
    TZ="Europe/Helsinki"
    ;;
    I have also tried to use fi instead of fi-latin1 but have not succeeded.

    Is there something else to be modified? I have noticed many questions in this forum concerning keyboard-mapping for syslinux not no one have given a good answer yet. This is very important thing to me because I have made finnish remastering of Knoppix called "SuomiKnoppix" (Finnish Knoppix) and also this should be settled down before publishing a stable version of it.


    -tapsa-[/b]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Just find out that I must add line
    KBDMAP fi.kbd
    in isolinux.cfg file. It really works.

    I noticed also one more thing:
    If I boot lang=us, the language of KDE is still finnish because of finnish keyboard file. So I must add keyboard=us too to the boot prompt to get KDE in us language.


    -tapsa-

Similar Threads

  1. log of commands during boot?
    By HatGuy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 01:40 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 11:53 PM
  3. I can boot but screen goes blank on entering X Windows
    By patty34 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 08:44 AM
  4. auto boot into 1024x768 w/o entering into boot: menu
    By HOLOTMO in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 08:08 AM
  5. Help with boot commands
    By EmoRock in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 03:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD picture

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 4.7GHz Socket AM5 Desktop CPU 96MB L3 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 4.7GHz Socket AM5 Desktop CPU 96MB L3

$360.00



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$166.49



HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box picture

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box

$299.00